Skip to main content

Melbourne level crossings

More
12 years 11 months ago #48301 by atkipete
With extra trains on the tracks these are becoming a major traffic headache. Took me 25 minutes to get through the Clayton road one the other morning around 8 am. Springvale, Murumbeena, Surrey Hills are also bad. There doesn't even seem to be any realistic timetable for replacement of these.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #48302 by
Replied by on topic Re: Melbourne level crossings
I'm glad the made that rail underpass at Nunawading Station on Springvale Rd. That used to get pretty congested at times.

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch

More
12 years 11 months ago #48303 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Melbourne level crossings
At least you don't have to worry about all the low bridges, I subbied for Western Transport in the late 60's/early 70's, they were at Port Melbourne (waterfront), that took a lot of backtracking to get on the Hume @ 14'+ >:(

Trust me

More
12 years 11 months ago #48304 by atkipete
Still plenty of low ones around South Melb, Collingwood and others.

More
12 years 11 months ago #48305 by prodrive
BK- That means you'd have lots of photos you can post- right??? :) :) :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #48306 by BK
You mean like this.

Trust me

More
12 years 11 months ago #48307 by oldbugger
BK, 72-73, I remember the low bridges coming also from Port Melbourne to the Hume Highway, coming from Eagles and Brahams depot in Rouse Street. On a few occasions I have had pedestrians watch and guide me either through or back out of low bridges, if back out, then find a place to turn around and find another way. If the trailer was loaded high it was a nightmare getting out.

12 years 11 months ago #48308 by
Replied by on topic Re: Melbourne level crossings
I remember as a owner driver i came to low bridge (or maybe I was to high for it ;D ;D) got out to tell the cars I was backing up by time got back in the cab another set cars behind me .
Only one thing to do start backing NO BEEPERS in those days they soon get out of the way. Dave

More
12 years 11 months ago #48309 by prodrive
BK- perfect! got any more???

I remember getting stuck under the railway bridge at Castlemaine, with Dad. We were in the old LPS 1418, going to Brisbane (the back way, cos we had these railway cabins on- bit overheight , bit overwidth) and we were there in the middle of the night. I was up on the back of the truck calling out " keep going, keep going, STOP" just as he touched the bridge, the out of the blue a train roared across the bridge, I hadn't heard it coming at all. man, I just about fell off the bloody truck, it scared the bejeezus outa me...
Then of course we backed up, went round, blah blah...
This pic was taken in Brisbane out on the Beaudesert Rd, if anyone remembers Stow's yard.

More
12 years 11 months ago #48310 by BK
Ya, I do I live at Beaudesert. :D

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds