Skip to main content

Buying a KW to attract drivers

More
12 years 9 months ago #55346 by paul404
A bloke used to say to me, go and stand out on the highway and see what trucks are pullin fridge vans and cattle... yep KW and mack.
Not many macks now but KW's are multiplying faster than rabbits.
Reasons. Australians like simple. They can be abused something shocking and still seem to hold up.
Parts and service are available just about anywhere cause of common running gear.
Good resale value.
They look good.
They are a well built truck, Everythings run neatly along the chassis and clamped properly.
Sure if you drive a k104 or k108 your shoulders will constantly ache. But you know you will get home nearly all the time.
If you can get your hands on a 604 or 608 then your set. ;)
The thing is the euro stuff rides great but when the first $50,000 gearbox blows up and you have to wait a month for parts thats when the cheap truck becomes expensive. Unless you work around 50k radius of the euro dealer then there is no way you could risk going any further. :'(
I think the stars are giving them a run for their money too, mainly because you can get the series 60 option, however the electrics and cheap dash will be what lets you down eventually.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #55347 by Cunning Stunt
That's a fair call Paul and I would have to agree that your shoulders do ache after a while when you drive a cabover model. I reckon that they would ache a lot more if you fell out of one of the things trying to enter or exit them as well, they are an ergonomically unfriendly cab to scale and drivers who are of the 'bigger boned' size ::) are the ones that concern me. Thank goodness KW improved the situation with the K200 and are planning to further improve it by adapting the swing out stair system as in the Argosy.

As for unreliability of European trucks, most larger companies who run them would argue the point as they tend to be a great vehicle when new and it's only when they have multiple drivers or 800'000 + km's on them that they need to be punted. I drove (and sorry Swishy, LOVED) an NH 460 Volvo for about five years as a truck and dog and it only ever had about 2 or 3 days of downtime due to a faulty injector and the clutch slave cylinder failing. It was a remarkable truck and I put the best part of 450'ooo km on it. On the other hand, in this role I have Cat and Cummins on speed dial and we are on a first name basis.

But getting back on topic, most drivers are tarred with the same brush and feel as though they've 'made it' when they get to drive a KW so it seems to be something that they strive for. After a while they'll either be thrilled with their long term goal or suddenly long for something else and most guys I speak too who end up in a Volvo kind of like to remain in the closet ;)

It gets back to the McDonalds syndrome - they've got a big menu because everyone has different taste :P

Some play hard to get

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #55348 by Chocs
Just to follow on...
Funny how the blokes whinge, biitch and grizzle about drivin your whatever brand it is for you...and what you should buy with what engine and whatever...
Dunno why ya don't have Kenworths etc etc...
Also pullin into the workshop for every last nut and bolt to be checked, or down the paint shop to have a stonechip repair...Can't drive it with a stone chip!!!!!!
Or the cooler is too cold or now not cold enough...

Its a whole different story when they get their first one!!!!
Narrrr, those tyres will do another round...i'll get it painted later on.. Naaar i only need 2 driving lights..
Pigs bum..i haven't got time to sit around and polish tanks...i'm not on by the hour ya know!!
Kenworths...narrrrrr over rated, i happy with me $%$%^%^ i only wanna do 80..too much fuel otherwise!!!!
and the story goes on!!!
chocs 8-)

More
12 years 9 months ago #55349 by Cunning Stunt
;D ;D ;D ;D LMFAO. Sounds like we know the same blokes :D

Some play hard to get

More
12 years 9 months ago #55350 by hayseed

;D ;D ;D ;D LMFAO. Sounds like we know the same blokes :D

Don't we all :'( :'(

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
12 years 9 months ago #55351 by V8Ian
Ain't that the truth Chocs!! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

12 years 9 months ago #55352 by
I think that sounds like a typical non-kenworth owners answer ;D ;D :D

More
12 years 9 months ago #55353 by Chocs
Ok i'll bite on that Adam.....

Just to follow on...
Funny how the blokes whinge, biitch and grizzle about drivin your whatever brand it is for you...and what you should buy with what engine and whatever...
Dunno why ya don't have $%$#%% etc etc...
Also pullin into the workshop for every last nut and bolt to be checked, or down the paint shop to have a stonechip repair...Can't drive it with a stone chip!!!!!!
Or the cooler is too cold or now not cold enough...

Its a whole different story when they get their first one!!!!
Narrrr, those tyres will do another round...i'll get it painted later on.. Naaar i only need 2 driving lights..
Pigs bum..i haven't got time to sit around and polish tanks...i'm not on by the hour ya know!!
%^$%^^...narrrrrr over rated, i happy with me $%$%^%^ i only wanna do 80..too much fuel otherwise!!!!
and the story goes on!!!

That sounds like it was written by a bloke who has dealt with more than his fair share of c#$#head drivers.....
C#$#heads that ya wouldn't let loose with an anvil, let alone a cheque book!
And just for some brand bashing...
It won't matter what you do to a kw.....it'll never be an international :-/
Think about that....theres a lesson there.. ;)
chocs 8-)

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #55354 by
The lesson is called "hook,line and sinker" :D :D :o ::)

Throw out a line, ya always hook somthing ;)

More
12 years 9 months ago #55355 by paul404
Its like anything, if you have one man to one truck no matter what it is, it will be good to you. Soon as you start letting 20 different people jump in and out of the one truck thats when they get smashed to bits. It seems that the KW's can take it a bit more. Big companys work on a cost per km. The KW might be dearer to buy but you will sell it when your done with it easier for good money.
Chocs never a truer statement made. Some of the turkeys i have worked with just have no idea about costs.

Time to create page: 0.675 seconds