Skip to main content

New trucks with EGR

More
11 years 11 months ago #81589 by Aussiehooker
egr with a turbo pumps air into the exhaust and forget all the claims it just dilutes the exhaust emissions thus we have a clean engine. catalytic converters and ad blue only doctor up the dirty gases already made low pressure hydrogen gives you 2% emission at the exhaust manifold and no doctoring required great fuel savings lower cylinder and exhaust temperatures . runs of distilled water .fuel savings of up to 16 and 18 % clean air and you still gotta pay carbon tax ??? we have all been shot up the a//S LOOK AT H2 FUELS an australian company that makes these units in sa . there are other manafactures in the world . tampering with systems can incur jail terms i would leave the egr alone cheers don

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81590 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
I half understand that.
But what is the effect on the truck of one of these regen burns? Is it driveable , if not for how long ?

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #81591 by Snaws2
Replied by Snaws2 on topic Re: New trucks with EGR

I half understand that.
But what is the effect on the truck of one of these regen burns? Is it driveable , if not for how long ?

We havent noticed any loss of performance while driving
However i have been told that it would reduced
Snaws

1952 Austin Loadstar&&&&Outside of a dog
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Snaws2.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81592 by atkipete
J Bran is saying you can only drive slowly and have to wait for it to complete the process. I am no fireman but dont think "drive slowly" and "raging bushfire" should be in the same sentence. :o

More
11 years 11 months ago #81593 by RocksnRoses
Replied by RocksnRoses on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
I'm with you atkipete, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around it all, so I did a bit of research. This explains it fairly well, but could still cause some anxious moments for fire trucks.

The second video is an update on the first one and goes into a little more detail.

RnR.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81594 by fargo1
Replied by fargo1 on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
Thanks R&R, that explains it a bit better. I have a 18month old Holden Cruze (deisel) that must have the same setup. The only precautions you have with it is keep the revs above 2000 and dont turn the motor off before the light goes off. I'm in the RFS and didn't like the idea of losing power on the fire front. May have to talk to our RFS members and see if they are up to speed on this.
Stephen

More
11 years 11 months ago #81595 by atkipete
Maybe the best way is to try to get a regen ( selectable regeneration) on the way to a fire. Bearing in mind you cannot drive over grass till it is compete.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81596 by Malfunction
Replied by Malfunction on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
I really don't understand why they purchase vehicles that have regeneration in a fire truck. (Like i've also heard Anti spin is not too good either as they can't keep moving then and get real bogged.) The amount of particulates produced by a grass or bush fire, even the household pot belly stove would produce more than the truck in its lifetime!
I will admit the advert that Isuzu had several years ago with the guy putting the white hanky over the exhaust, was pretty acurate.
I was part of testing some nasties put out by the Isuzu's mentioned compared to the older ones and there was no comparison.
Never got to test one while regen happening, but once reported a Main Roads truck for smoky vehicle while it was obviously doing the back-burn.

I knew of two guys taking a small bus up north on delivery and the yellow light came on, which means pull over, have smoko and let it do its thing. They thought it was a warning of don't let it get under 80k's as the bomb will go off, it went a long way, almost to Mackay before driving at 50% power was not real easy. ::) Bus had to go back to Dealer and erase its memory, the drivers commonsense had already been done!

More
11 years 11 months ago #81597 by atkipete
I thought ( from the Isuzu video) that if you were on the highway it would do a regen at speed and you would not even know. The burnt off crap clearly goes into the atmosphere, so is the overall operation of this vehicle any better for the environment than the Euro4 ones?

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #81598 by Chugga
Replied by Chugga on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
I drive an Isuzu with the re-gen system and it works pretty simply. The system has two modes - auto and manual. In auto (the default setting) the truck builds up particulate matter in the diffuser/cat converter shown on a small digital gauge on the dash. When this reaches full (after about 250 k's of hills driving) The truck goes into auto re-gen. The truck is still drive-able and you can continue on your merry way. There is a slight loss of power kind of like when you have a Horton fan on in manual.

Now, you can also do a manual burn of the particulate filter but this can only be done stationary. The manual re-gen can only be initiated when the gauge is over 75% full and the truck doesn't have the PTO in and the idle is set down to normal. Once the button is pressed, the revs come up to about 1200 odd rpm, it slightly shuts the exhaust brake and as far as I know it squirts a bit of diesel in the exhaust to get the temps up and burn out the crap. The exhaust gets bloody hot and you have to be pretty careful where you park it.

The truck has to be moving to go into an auto burn and stationary to do a manual, but once an auto burn has started, if you stop and park it up it will continue to do it's thing. If you head off again it will keep doing the auto re-gen but if you are doing a stationary/manual burn you can't drive off, you have to cancel the manual burn and resume it when you stop again. :o

Hope this helps guys :D

P.s, not my video but this will show you how hot they get
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Chugga.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds