Had more of a play today. The range and splitter both work, I figured out from the wiring diagram that somebody very kindly posted here that it is the range inhibitor solenoid that is disconnected. (Definitely 3 speed with splitter and range change as it was pointed out to me and I now understand a little better). Not sure why you would need such a thing, but there it is.
The "Brom Brake" button must have a problem. If you pull it out, you can't push it back in, it is springy like it has air pressure against it. Today I had to charge it using the schrader air valve just above it to get the brakes off. I assume it can be dismantled and have new o-rings fitted to cure that. Also learned that it has no reversing light and the reversing switch doesn't work. Somebody has put a spring actuated limit switch behind the cab which I assume triggers off the gear change shaft to give reverse indication. As it stands it is 1" away from being triggered when in reverse so doesn't work. The original switch on the side of the gearbox seems to work ok if I pull it out and test on the bench (although backwards, on when un-actuated) but it seems that there is nothing to move it. I wonder if there is a small rod missing which should go into the small hole into the interior of the box. Wish I had a parts picture. That aside the, wiring aft is missing as are the reversing lights on the back... ahhh more work for love!!!. The exhaust brake is odd. I started her up and took off the handbrake, but air still issued forth somewhere under the cab. A bit of fiddling an it stopped for a short time then started up again. I suspect like many of this trucks issues, a broken wire in the loom.
Acually did some of my own project today (building a wooden boat) and await the cab tilt ram inspection result.
Thanks Debo. My description isn't that fantastic, it is definitely the range change section, as I can see where the PTO should have been right on the back at the bottom.
Had a measure up today, the excavator should be ok height wise (3.3M but the boom can come down below the cab with a little judicious folding) , but is exactly the same width as the tray... (2.48M) be fun for whoever has to load that sucker and keep within the regs... .
Found out the tilt cylinder is stuffed. I am guessing that the cab has been smashed up as the paint on it is too good, and the damage to the cylinder is not wear, it is actually bent out of shape at the base.
Good news is that I was right there is a small pin missing from behind the gearbox reversing switch so I should be able to get that back as it should be.
One step at a time
The range inhibitor solenoid is to prevent engaging low range when the road speed is above 40k.This is another Volvo safety feature.
I can't think why it would be disconnected,unless it has an electrical fault which is then supplying air to prevent engagement of low range at low speed.
As for the reverse switch,SR1700 and SR1900 gearboxes,one of which will be yours have a large domed washer about 30mm in diameter that locates into the gear shift linkages inside the box.
When you hook reverse this washer will activate the reverse switch.
However this washer has a habit of dropping off and resting in the bottom of the box,if this is the case,which is quite common then the only fix is to strip the box and re-attach it.
We used to wire up a separate dash mounted switch for the reverse lights. There is no problem with this washer resting in the box as it's quite heavy and can't be picked up by the gears.
The exhaust brake will also be activated if the Broms button is not pressed in after releasing the hand brake.
After you've built the air up,pushed the Broms button in and released the hand brake does the Broms button then pop back out?
If so then you have other issues that I'll try and help you through.
Can't read the plate yet, will let you know which it is. Range inhibitor connector is actually broken off so maybe just a physical problem. I will try to re-attach. The little pin indicated in the parts list that pushes the switch is missing, so hopefully the dished washer is in place inside. Have a pin on order.
As for the Brom, yep try to push it in and it pushes back at you and won't go in. Pressurise the schrader valve and all is good until it is disturbed again.
Another symptom I had not connected but may be is the clutch air-assist didn't work for a while and then started working for no reason.
Even a farmer putting a stationary crane on his farm to lift stuff off is subject to OHS rules these days. It was capable of 1.5 tonnes out at 5.6 metres, so pretty decent size but the cost of modifying it to current OHS standards was going to be prohibitive. $460 to get a mobile crane out to lift it off so to us getting the scrappy out to take it away for nothing was a good deal. He said he sees them every week now so nothing lost.
He said he sees them every week now so nothing lost.
wow talk about a throw away society, you would not think so many were scrapped given they cost $50 000+ to buy new.. The rams, valves etc would be worth a fair bit on the second hand market to start with..
I agree with you, but I guess technology has changed since 1984 when this crane was made and companies that use this stuff need reliable, working right now, and OHS compliant.
The operator valves are manual and would need re-sealing at the least, the rest are specific to this crane so probably not easily useable on other things. The two main rams looked to be generic, but you would have to have a use for exactly that length and size. It's at Caloundra Scrap Metal if you want to get bits off it.