Skip to main content

Volvo FL7 help

More
11 years 8 months ago #88609 by .RC.
Replied by .RC. on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help

I agree with you, but I guess technology has changed since 1984 when this crane was made and companies that use this stuff need reliable, working right now, and OHS compliant.

The operator valves are manual and would need re-sealing at the least, the rest are specific to this crane so probably not easily useable on other things. The two main rams looked to be generic, but you would have to have a use for exactly that length and size. It's at Caloundra Scrap Metal if you want to get bits off it. :)

Ahhh it was an old one... I was thinking something just out of the first 10 year certification, not nearly 30 years old...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #88610 by Trackhappy
Replied by Trackhappy on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
Just missed out on manuals for the critter on Ebay... Doh!
Was hoping they would help me understand the air circuits that seem to have some issue.
Obviously there are two air reservoirs, each with a gauge. These don't seem to lose air and seem to replenish ok when the engine is running, one first then the other. There are 3 tanks though... When air is lost from the brake circuit which must be the other side of this "Broms Brake" device what is that circuit for and how does it fit with the handbrake and footbrake. Is that the third tank?
It doesn't seem to be leaking air so what triggers the Broms Brake?

Sunshine Coast&&Queensland

More
11 years 8 months ago #88611 by nz jamie
Replied by nz jamie on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
G'day mate,

Years ago we had a similar problem with an FL10. As soon as the park brake was released the Broms button would pop out and couldn't be pushed back in.

It sounds like you have the same problem. What we found was that there is a one way valve on one of the air tanks that was faulty and was allowing air to pass in both directions.
I've been trying to find a photo of this valve,but can't and haven't seen a Volvo parked up recently to get a photo of it either.

Basicly is doesn't look like a convertional air valve with lots of hoses coming off it.
It's a small in line valve that's screwed into one of the tanks,I think a 27mm spanner will fit across the flats. It has the flats on one side like a nut would and it's about 30-35mm long,being round in shape on the other end. On the round end a hose will be screwed into it.

It's hard to explain how it looks,but hopefully you get the jist. It looks like a fitting screwed into the tank with a hose coming out of it.

I'll try and find a Volvo over the weekend and take a photo.

I would suggest if you have an air dryer on this truck that you change the filter,it seams you have a few air related issues.

Good luck, Jamie

More
11 years 8 months ago #88612 by Trackhappy
Thanks Jamie. Should be able to find that one in the weekend. No drier in evidence. Filter on the compressor inlet which is being replaced. A whole bunch of little issues in this baby obviously. Luckily he is not paying labour but boy am I going to get something out of his hide for this one.....

More
11 years 8 months ago #88613 by nz jamie
Replied by nz jamie on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
Yeah no worries,as we used to say when we did any small jobs for contractors 'That'll be a carton mate'

Coopers green for me mate.

More
11 years 8 months ago #88614 by Trackhappy
Funny, I thought maybe Lion Red or DB (or maybe Speights if you are a little bit backed up..... ;) ).
Things you do for Family.

More
11 years 8 months ago #88615 by Trackhappy
You get me through this with a registered truck at the end and I'll send you a carton of Coopers Green. So far the help from you (and others) has been invaluable but yours in particular has been great as it is specific to this model and knowledge not obvious to a noob like me.

More
11 years 8 months ago #88616 by Trackhappy
Did you get my PM? Make sure I have an email addy for you......

More
11 years 8 months ago #88617 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
would have thought you should have 4 air cylinders - wet tank; rear brake circuit; front & trailer circuit; park brake circuit (Euro trucks often have pressure left to operate the park circuit when all else is empty rather than relying on the springs to kick in). The shrader valve will be pressurising the park circuit as it is there so you can release spring brakes with air instead of getting under and winding them off. I would guess that you will need pressure in the other circuits for the check valve to release the spring brakes. Same scenario as what jamie talks about, with pressure being on the wrong side.

More
11 years 8 months ago #88618 by Trackhappy
Thanks Mammoth. Will have another careful look in the weekend. Glen Innes huh??? Another K1W1 ;D

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds