Skip to main content

Volvo FL7 help

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #88639 by Trackhappy
Replied by Trackhappy on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
I can't see where it might have been altered to that extent, but not having seen one before it is difficult to judge. The spare that arrived seems the same and hte parts Guy ordered it from the VIN number so if that is correct then something else must be different. I am getting to the stage where I need another FL7 to look at. Not sure what else to do. I am pretty sure the cab has either been off and painted completely, or is a new cab. The paint is jst too good and there are bolts all over that are either not matching or new, and telltale paint areas where washewrs are in different places etc. The bit I don't understand is that I got it to lift just once with the original ram and never again, which is why I went wit a crook ram. Maybe I just have two crook rams or they are F10 rams.... This is driving me nuts.

Sunshine Coast&&Queensland
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Trackhappy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #88640 by Trackhappy
Managed to do a couple other things in the middle of cabamania. Put in the little reversing switch plunger and Hey Presto... nothing, so the dome inside the gearbox must have come off. Have moved the additional switch so it now works, just have to re-dril a screw hole and tighten it all up.
Also, it has 4 tanks... must have had a Blokes look... ;). I sat in the cab and watched the needles and let them build up and waited some more and eventually the Broms button was able to stay in, so I guess you must be right, the valves are in need of replacement.
Also looked a little more at the exhaust brake. When actuated, air just gushes out of the alloy bit on the front of the turbo. Without the cab tilted I can't get it apart, but I guess the actuator part of it is stuffed somehow. It seems to be comng out the side of the alloy fins so I have a nasty feeling that it is cracked.
All in all not a good day for the truck. I think I will work on the boat tomorrow for some light relief.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #88641 by Trackhappy
I have decided that something should be lifting the cab up a few inches when the hooks release, that is the only way it will be able to lift. If you use a lever and lift it manually while somebody is pumping, away it goes. I am thinking it must have the wrong springs in it or something. Maybe the cab is the wrong one for it and the geometry is slightly different. I need another one to compare....

Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Trackhappy.

More
11 years 7 months ago #88642 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
Exhaust brake - otherwise known as "exhaust pressure regulator" - it's main function is to provide back pressure to keep the motor warm at idle and start up. With extra pressure it works like a snake brake (all hiss, not much action.) The finned ally part has a piston in it which runs dry and you might get away with just replacing the piston seal. At times there will be some exhaust coming through the vent holes in the side of it.

The original F86 never had the broms or check valve. It was put in to stop runaways on start up if the hand brake is inadvertently left in the off position (remember it's Euro and the handbrake works on pressure and maxis only operate when the last skeric of air has gone.) If it goes in when you have full pressure and stays in while you go through driving cycle then it is doing it's job. Something to came back to later when you have another to compare with.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #88643 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help

I have decided that something should be lifting the cab up a few inches when the hooks release, that is the only way it will be able to lift. If you use a lever and lift it manually while somebody is pumping, away it goes. I am thinking it must have the wrong springs in it or something. Maybe the cab is the wrong one for it and the geometry is slightly different. I need another one to compare....

Mate , My old Hino FS was exactly the same,had to lever it up the first bit . Maybe wear in the cab mounts ??? . We have a Volvo F7 {handpump only } ,it goes straight up without any problems .
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by ianoz.

More
11 years 7 months ago #88644 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
try lifting the cab with the doors open had to do that on some cabs as things get old and springs loose tensions ect takes weight off back of cab

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 7 months ago #88645 by Trackhappy

We have a Volvo F7 {handpump only } ,it goes straight up without any problems .

Thanks ianoz. Can you please answer me a question, when you turn the lever to the up position and start to pump, does the cab jump up a bit as soon as the hooks retract?
Thanks,
Glenn.

More
11 years 7 months ago #88646 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help
When it starts going up with the first couple of pumps it seems to jam ,and not want to go up .Hand pump goes soild .It's a volvo remember ,so have not had to lift the cab on it very often {Thats for swishys benifit ;) ;D}

More
11 years 7 months ago #88647 by Trackhappy
Thanks. That'll be the hooks being pressurised until they let go of the cab and up she goes. Something very definitely wrong here then. Have to get the Volvo bloke out to see if he can spot what is wrong.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 7 months ago #88648 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Volvo FL7 help

Th@ Eeeeeeee n Oz B a real comedian
LOL

Jist dont give up u're day job jist yet
LOL

TrackHappy owns a Volvo
n needs all the
H E L P
he can get
LOL

is there a cuple coil springs to start the cab on its merry way or is ther a toirsion bar @ the cab pivot point broke or out of adjustment
??
1 cent worth of dribble Tax free for a poor unfortunate V truck owner
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.622 seconds