Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Volvo FL7 help 12 Aug 2012 21:04 #88659

• Trackhappy
  • Trackhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Mammoth. I can't drive it and we have not had one before so no idea if power is down, Just expected some whine when revving it and maybe running on when engine is shut down. Absolutely nothing that I can discern of it spinning even standing beside it, but hey that may be perfectly normal for a Volvo.. being as perfect as they are... ;).
Thanks for the coolant tip. I purposely left it until last in case there were air pocket issues. Looks like She has green coolant in her (in addition to water) but it looks murky in the overflow tank. Given the amount of grease I had to poke in various places to get grease out the ends I suspect She has not been over-serviced :'(
Up to six broken wires this weekend including the coolant tank sensor but that doesn't include the grille sensors, cab down lock sensors, some kind of temperature sensore on top of the engine (not the temperature gauge as that works) , both diff sensors (temperature?) and some sensor on the bottom of the bell housing. So many things to restore on this baby.
Sunshine Coast&&Queensland

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Volvo FL7 help 28 Aug 2012 13:17 #88660

• Bugly
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Trackie - how're yer going with this?
1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Re: Volvo FL7 help 28 Aug 2012 14:22 #88661

• Trackhappy
Wellll,
I have done most of what I needed. The truck has been fully serviced except for the radiator flush and power steering fluid, which smells "well done" but will be changed when the pump gets the leak fixed.
Not sure on the cab tilt, ram is guaranteed second hand one, pump has been replaced and now has a new piston seal as well. If you hold your nose right and pump until you are out of breath the cab might move. Once you get half way up add some oil to the reservoir or it will suck air. When you put her back down catch the excess oil that spews out on the ground. Dozer is arriving on the 18th from USA and she needs to be ready to pick it up from the docks in Brissy so she is at Leading Machinery in Bundaberg. Flat deck is not strong enough to take 12 tons so is being removed and a new beaver tail version made. (Anyone want to buy a good straight 7Mtr tray? ;) )They will finish off whatever is required for the rego and I will do the rest of the niceities when she comes back.

Appreciate everybody's help. Learned a lot and hopefully got her to be a useable truck.

Re: Volvo FL7 help 30 Aug 2012 06:02 #88662

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 878
well track happy your valve that lets oil in and out of ram is not working . The oil on the low pressure side of ram ie the side not been pushed isnt getting back into reservoir thats why you run out of oil.And when you put cab back down the extra you put in cant get to other side of ram . because its a double acting ram the tank does not need to be very big most of oil is stored in rams once rams are it wont need much at all. so you have defintly got stuck valve.nothing wrong with pump or ram. If you put a new pump on the valve is part of pump it will fix it if valve isnt it will make no difference
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Re: Volvo FL7 help 10 Sep 2012 11:40 #88663

• Trackhappy
Thanks MrsMackPaul. I slightly disagree with you. If the oil wasn't being allowed back, the pressure would build up and there is no way I could move the ram. With this particular cylinder the output rod is quite large, so there is a considerable difference between the amount of oil displaced by one side compared to the other. It is this difference that the tank must compensate for. The valve is built into the pump assembly and the pump has been changed as well as (both new and old) dismantled and carefully scrutinised by me to ensure everything is ok. I pulled up at the lights last week beside a later model and noted that the reservoir/pump assembly is almost twice the size of our one, maybe it is just the wrong one. Only other thing is maybe still some air to bleed out.

On another front though, the driver who took her up to Bundaberg complained that the seat bottoms out when he hits a bump (The whole Bruce Highway qualifies). It seems to be working ok in that it lowers when you climb off it and pumps back up when you put some weight on it, but Bruce weighs 13Kg and it just seems to need more pressure to it. Is there any adjustment that anybody knows of?
Cheers,
Glenn.

Last edit: by Trackhappy.

Re: Volvo FL7 help 10 Sep 2012 18:00 #88664

• Mrsmackpaul
yeah I dont want to be trouble maker but your wrong I think ? once the system full its full on adouble actting ram tank level wont change when operated stays the same level all the time but what do I know! :D :D :D

Re: Volvo FL7 help 10 Sep 2012 18:03 #88665

• Mrsmackpaul
oh yes and the pressure won't build up thats why it runs out the top of the resivour and I'm not real sure about my spelling thats for certain ; :D :D :D :D :D :D

Re: Volvo FL7 help 10 Sep 2012 19:14 #88666

• Mrsmackpaul
After thinking about this over tea I might change my thought a bit . The oil level will change a bit but only as much as the size of the piston which I think you might of getting at I just didnt read it carefully enough .However you should be able to prove this maybe try get some soft drink bottle and taping it on to the top of the resevoir with bum out of bottle to try and enlarge resevior to hold more oil . you could also try working out size of piston to see it is at all possible to fit that amount of oil in resevior hard to say with out seeing it . But realy I should just shut up about this :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Re: Volvo FL7 help 10 Sep 2012 20:27 #88667

• Trackhappy
Ahhhh you are cool!!!
Takes me a while for the tought patterns to line up (the odd time they actually do ;D ;D ;D

In this case, the piston diameter is something like 2 inches and the rod is something like 1 1/2" so there is quite a large difference in volume from one side to the other (takes quite a bit more oil to fill on the way up than on the way down) . I like the idea of a bottle or something added on. When she comes back I might check that out. The whole reservoir is only about a large cup.
BTW... You only become a trouble maker when you start being disrespectful or abusive, and you have been neither. Healthy discussion and helping people or yourself understand things better is good. Sometimes even though someone has the wrong end of the stick, something they say or even their logic makes something click in your own thought processes to solve a problem.

Now, about that seat..... :D

Re: Volvo FL7 help 10 Sep 2012 20:35 #88668

• Trackhappy
I just calculated the size of the up end of the cylinder and subtracted the size of the down end of the cylinder (guesses from memory) and came up with a difference of something like 800mL and the reservoir is nowhere that. When Gerty comes back I'll measure properly just for fun. :)

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558