Skip to main content

Modern truck & EMD V16 engine

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #100510 by Roderick Smith
This is another from my regular contributor Jeff Bounds.
I can't guess the make of the prime mover.
The payload is an EMD V16 engine.
After googling, I deduce that this is a 645E.
VR had the 567C model and the 645E model.
It obtained the 710 only as a V12.
It also had V8 567C, and possibly V8 645E.
I haven't checked the V6 model used on small locos; they weren't bought until c1964, and hence should be 645E.

The engines were designed for rail, ferry and static use.
In Australia, they were also used in offroad mining dump trucks in the Pilbara, with electric drive. AFAIK the 567C.

An engineering plant in Geelong obtained four retired locos, and uses them as electricity generators, with the prime mover and generator kept in the loco shell.

I have an item somewhere on a V16 used in a tugboat in USA.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100511 by jeffo
Posted these photos ages back. (thought they were 12 cylinder EMD's until I started counting rockers)
Teekay tugs at Hay Point, Mackay.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100512 by Kenworth_10x6
Big donks but they have amazing pick up! I suppose being two stroke and a blower helps, plus only reving to a bit over 900 rpm might help also. The fabricated block is amazingly durable and the ability to individually remove the power assemly when needed shows why these things seem to go forever. Jimmy power!!! Now if i could just fit one under the hood.

10x6

More
11 years 4 months ago #100513 by jeffo
Yes and they call these things medium speed diesels, not a really big rev range.
Seems each application has its own idiosyncrasies too.
These tug donks drop half the cylinders at idle, presumably to go easy on the gearbox when going ahead/astern although there's still at least a 5 second delay while it has a think. Considering they idle at 5+knots, that's plenty of time to demolish the pen.
The loco start procedure has the engine rocked with the starter motor a few times to spin up the superchargers. Worry is so much start up torque could screw off the blower drives.
Hey Tatra, similar thinking on the big MTU's?

More
11 years 4 months ago #100514 by Roderick Smith
When VR went EMD (1954), the maker's advice was to leave the engines idling at all times, to reduce wear.
That policy lasted in Victoria until the late 1960s (or later).
Other states would turn locos off during long breaks, and one would cut the motor if the loco was doing nothing for as little as 5 min.

33-19: only a prototype, which is preserved.
I have found a couple of items on dump trucks:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terex_33-19_%22Titan%22

33-15: not only available in Australia, but used. Perhaps the article which I saw years ago was in Truck & Bus?
news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=...IBAJ&pg=6654,1459402

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 3 months ago #100515 by Kenworth_10x6
I suppose I should fess up and say I drive these 8, 12 and 16 cylinder versions, but I don't have a steering wheel. :o

More
11 years 2 months ago #100516 by Tatra

Yes and they call these things medium speed diesels, not a really big rev range.
Seems each application has its own idiosyncrasies too.
These tug donks drop half the cylinders at idle, presumably to go easy on the gearbox when going ahead/astern although there's still at least a 5 second delay while it has a think. Considering they idle at 5+knots, that's plenty of time to demolish the pen.
The loco start procedure has the engine rocked with the starter motor a few times to spin up the superchargers. Worry is so much start up torque could screw off the blower drives.
Hey Tatra, similar thinking on the big MTU's?

The ones I worked on were not kept idling for more than one second if they could be shut off, they were too highly strung and soot deposits would be created if you did this sort of thing, lol.

Starting was done after building up pressure by an electric oil priming pump. There was no starter as such; rather you had starting valves injecting compressed air into each cylindre (there was a starting distributor timing the air to each one of the cylindres). No supercharger issue as the Maybach-MTUs only had turbos.

Leaving EMDs running is common everywhere, I know that's what Israeli Railways do with their locomotives.

More
11 years 2 months ago #100517 by jeffo
That would be these big buggers.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #100518 by Tatra
^thems the ones, yep.

Fitted in those:

INS Alia as it was in the Israeli Navy. Now with the Mexicans.

That's how I lived for 3 years

Cheers

T

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #100519 by oldron
i keep this one in me back yard to fire up barby s

V16 Ruston paxman ventura
107 liters / 104000 cc

Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by oldron.

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds