Skip to main content

hargon saw

More
10 years 8 months ago #122895 by boris
hargon saw was created by boris
gday I found a hargon saw stashed away on the in laws farm.it has a BSA motor hasn't run for 30 years. does anyone have any experience (or horror stories)handling one of these beasts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #122896 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: hargon saw
Used one for years with no problems other than hard to push around on rough ground, sold ours for $360 at clearing sale 2006

You could turn the blade horizontal [see turntable on the top arm] to cut down trees then hope they fell where you thought. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/
Borrowed photo to educate you lot

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
10 years 8 months ago #122897 by browny289
Replied by browny289 on topic Re: hargon saw
Id be finding out what size and what model that motor is first might be worth a nice dollar,

More
10 years 8 months ago #122898 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Re: hargon saw
Normally 500cc side valve, engine I think engine number starting with BM20. Industrial engine, similar to WW2 army engine WM20. It will have different (compared to bike) oil connection tappings in crankcase for different mounting angle

Paul

More
10 years 8 months ago #122899 by JimmyDodge
Replied by JimmyDodge on topic Re: hargon saw
A Hargan saw ???I was incredulous when a 68 year builder mate of mine was telling me about these danger man machines that were basically a wheel barrow with a Petrol engine and a large circular saw blade that one just pushed into a log to cut it up. Crikey , WorkCover would have a Heart attack if they saw someone operating one of these today.

More
10 years 8 months ago #122900 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: hargon saw
I got the remains of that type of thing years ago - it had a Howard-8 motor on it. Bloke reckoned his mate put his kids through uni with it doing firewood. Engine is still in my shed.
ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 8 months ago #122901 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: hargon saw
Isnt that what is normally called a swing saw ? Have seen a lot with small car motors on them or others with a big arch so you can cut real big logs up to five feet always looked a bit scary to me maybe Im just chicken
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 8 months ago #122902 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Re: hargon saw
Hi Paul, yeah sometimes known as a swing saw. Hargans was one manufacturer, Mobilco another.

Here is a ad, taken from Power Farming, for a Hargans on ebay.

tinyurl.com/m3c9znh

Paul

More
10 years 8 months ago #122903 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: hargon saw
Yeah Paul I think swing saw is just a term always look real dangerous but there plenty of them around sleeper cutters used to use them I think a lot of the home made ones had VW motors on them as they were using big blades and were men on a misson later ones used subaru motors same type of flat 4 motor still not my cup of tea I'll leave them for people smarter than me ;D ;D ;D
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 8 months ago #122904 by boris
Replied by boris on topic Re: hargon saw
my father in law told me a yarn about a fella he knew was using one. the blade jammed, tossed him up and over the bars, landed on the blade ripped him from arsehole to breakfast. :D

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds