Skip to main content

Engine Failures--dead 3508 cat

More
14 years 8 months ago #11715 by melonreo
i thought i might get some thing roling on different types of engine selfdestructing.
this 3508 in our CAT 992G loader decided she had had enough and called it a day.
it happend on a stockpile that is 35 meters above ground level, so it was decided that it was to unsafe to move the machine down the ramp and back to the work shop, so the poor fitters had to swap the donk where it was --2 days and 2 nights middle of winter rainy weather and up high and windy, would call in every now and then , it was not the happiest of camp sites.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #11716 by Swishy

MelonReo
GuddayM8
Gr8 Pix
keep m cummin

U just wait til JuanTrak sees this
as U no he has cat yello runnin thru hiz vanes
LOL
Q:Is this donk pictured made in China
Reason for Q: the largest bare metal part where itz broken away looks very porous

ButEyeDoStand2BCorrected........n eye will

Also the caption should/could read

Wotz in......Wantz Out!

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Swishy.

14 years 8 months ago #11717 by
Geez, that'd be a nice expensive bill, wouldn't it?? .. :'(

Yes, those 3508's are bad news. I know of more than one mob who have lined the wall of their shop with busted 3508 blocks. I'm glad I don't own any. Cat have their dogs, just like any other manufacturer, but those 3508's are on a par with early 3208's for punching holes in blocks.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 8 months ago #11718 by Swishy

Melon Reo
GuddayM8

Sme Again

Just cut to the chase n shoe horn a V12-92T screeemer in there n the jobz dun

LOL

The difference in cost of make n good one stuffd C@ donk compared to grab a screemer
could B a world trip fir U n the Mrs

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 8 months ago #11719 by melonreo
Swishmannnnnnn
im hearin ya :) :) :) :)
sad thing is every body at work reckons I am a bit loopy-- because i would want to pull out all the doors and windows, to get the maximum benefit of the screamer..
you cannot beat the smell of fresh soil when working a dozer, sitting out in the open air, but you dont get to much fesh dirt 200 meters below ground level , plus i dont think it would be that nice in the middle of winter out on the top of a high waste dump

More
14 years 8 months ago #11720 by Andy Wright
Besides Melbourne, the coldest I've ever been was up on a dump marking out levels one night shift. Stuff changing an engine in that weather.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #11721 by huppypuppy
Tell ya a funny engine destruction story:

A ex customer of Dad's has a HZJ75RP LandCruiser 4WD with a tag axle on it and a aftermarket turbocharger (not anymore) - anyway he brings it over to Dad complaining that the truck's running rough! Dad did the injectors and replaced the fuel filter and kicked 'er in the guts... engine was knocking like a biatch!
Take the engine out, pull the head off it (I remember this well as I helped with the dismantling), shine the leadlight into the #5 cylinder - hairline crack through the crown and down through the gudgeon pin holes!

Strip her, clean the block, measure the bores (still within spec with the hone marks from when the engine was made), reassemle with new parts, reco the fuel injection pump plus all the other stuff - cost: a bee's privates under $13,000!

Moral of this story: if you own a diesel, you MUST do your injectors and/or pump at the recommended intervals!

Joe
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by huppypuppy.

More
14 years 4 months ago #11722 by werkhorse
I've shaken hands with the driver of an LNT9000 Louie through the block of a 350 Cummins. No 3 rod let go and took out a sizable chuck of block either side of it

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #11723 by
The eldest nephew bought himself a u-beaut WB, 4.2L, 4-speed ute about 1984 .. it was only about 2 years old, and was a nice rig.
Those Blue 4.2's go like a cat with it's a**e on fire .. and we weren't averse to 'fanging' it, on regular occasions.

I was heading back to Kulin on the Kulin-Lake Grace road one nice Summer afternoon in 1985, behind the wheel of this ute .. and there's a lot of nice long straights on that road .. so I was fairly giving it to her.

It was redlined at 5250 RPM, from memory, but it would still pull over 5500 RPM in top gear .. and that made the telephone poles look like a picket fence, I tell ya .. 8-)

I'd floored it and taken her up to 5500 RPM in top for about a kilometre .. and thought it was probably wise to pull back a little, seeing as the rev counter needle was the wrong side of the red line for maybe 30 seconds.
I very soon found out that that red line really meant what it said! .. :'(

The 4.2 let a rod go, just about the time I brought it back to the redline .. and that motor utterly EXPLODED!! .. and I mean EXPLODED! .. :'(
You've seen these movies where someone in an F1 race blows a motor, and thousands of little bits and pieces roll down the track, behind him? .. well, that was me! .. ::)

I recall looking in the mirror and seeing the bits and pieces of the engine bouncing along the road behind us, in a haze of blue smoke! .. :o

A rod bolt let go, and the piston and rod must have come right down the bore .. and the crank hit the rod at the right angle, for it to take out half the cylinder wall .. and a chunk out of the outside of the block, about 400mm long and 300mm high! It was utterly amazing to inspect.

I've only ever seen one other engine so totally destroyed by a rod letting go .. and it was a 3208 Cat in a Steiger.
This Cat had a rod come up the centre of the 'V', and it broke the crank, the camshaft, the block .. and knocked the fuel pump off!! .. :o

More
14 years 4 months ago #11724 by ray
One of the worst I saw was with a 300ci Ford petrol when one of our drivers thought floating down hills involved leaving it in gear and keeping your foot on the clutch. Who knows what speed he was doing this particular day, but he reached the bottom of the hill and takes his foot off the clutch. The result was an engine with absolutely nothing between the head and sump (demolished) for the last 3 cylinders except a badly damaged crank. I still don't think he realises why he lost his job!!

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds