Skip to main content

Wooden caravans

More
8 years 11 months ago #131450 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Wooden caravans

Is the fibreglass one with the door rhs an import from Europe?

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q552/heyseed/Young%20car%20Show/DSCN1074_zpsjiv5kray.jpg?751

I believe so Roderick.
Apparently the Body had been turned around on the chassis, to enable It to be put on Full rego (It's a legal requirement that caravan Doors are either on the kerb side or rear facing). But was put back to original when it went to Historical rego..

BISTBC.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #131451 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Been around a bit this weekend and visited Christie's Museum in Tocumwal

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
8 years 10 months ago #131452 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Posted at flickr (not mine), returning from the recent rally at Booleroo (SA):
www.flickr.com/photos/ozescout/16799689267

Roderick B Smith
Retired editor

More
8 years 10 months ago #131453 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Wooden caravans
That what I want to do one day nice and steady enjoy the world as it goes by no AC to break down good size van to catch the princess in each night fantastic

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 3 months ago #164578 by Roderick Smith
This one was in the grounds of a seaside amusement park at Henley (Adelaide, SA). I guess that the attractions are seasonal, and this was the home of the owner of one or more.
580128Tu Henley (SA): Wooden caravan. (Neil Smith, Roderick Smith collection)

Roderick

[img

More
8 years 3 months ago #164580 by oldgmc
Stayed in Tocumwal back in September on the way to Queensland wanted to go there but minister of war had other ideas looks great maybe next time

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
8 years 3 months ago #164651 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Wooden caravans
Spotted this teardrop van at a local market.

Set up as a coffee shop, run with a small generator and also doubles as a weekend camper ,or what ever.

pulled around with a small 4 wheel drive/
..........................Billy............................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
8 years 1 month ago #167499 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Airstream caravans
Six sleek Airstreams, $1m and a great big crane transform inner-city car park into a not-quite-a hotel.
February 25, 2016 - Melbourne 'Age'.
James Fry is turning the rooftop of Fry's Park Safe into a ''Notel'' with Airstreams. Photo: Simon Schluter Melbourne's laneways - already the envy of locked-out Sydney and the world - are going next-level with the Notel.
The Notel is "not a hotel" but six shiny Airstream trailers corralled on the rooftop of a car park in Flinders Lane.
James Fry, owner of Fry's Park Safe, bought six retro Airstream trailers in the US costing $US70,000 ($A97,000) each, shipped them to Melbourne, had them lifted on to the unused rooftop with a crane and is ready to fit them out into five-star accommodation in the $1 million project.
Six Airstream trailers are ready to be turned into five-star accommodation. Photo: Simon Schluter And fitting with Melbourne's DNA for hidden laneway gems, there will be street art on the wall that abuts Tonic House and its vibrant rooftop space.
The entrance to Notel on Flinders Lane is via a "speakeasy" door that leads to a stand-up cafe. A barista, who may very well have a tattoo of an Airstream, will pass lattes through a hole in the wall.
"We are not a hotel," Mr Fry said. "We are anything but. We're going to provide people with an experience that is 50 per cent about the bed and the other 50 per cent is about Melbourne."
An artist's impression of how Notel may look with street art on the wall. Photo: Self-titled Only in Melbourne can a hipster or grandma say that they went to a car park in a laneway, grabbed a coffee, climbed to the rooftop and checked into an Airstream.
The head-turning polished aluminium trailers are 9.4 metres long and date from the early 1970s.
When Notel opens around the middle of the year, expect to pay $320-$350 a night for a queen-sized bed, couch, TV and luxurious bathroom.
An artist's impression of the aerial view from Flinders Lane. Photo: Self-titled The car park will still operate during the day and by night, Notel will double as an event space for up to 300 people.
The less-celebrated end off Flinders Lane is poised for the arrival of the groove train with Notel because Mr Fry has considered various plans for the unused space during the 10 years he has owned it.
Nearly every real-estate agent in the city has approached him to sell it to cashed-up Chinese investors with a rumoured price of $10 million. He thought about a rooftop bar, cinema or 40-storey redevelopment.
An Airstream trailer is craned on to the roof of Fry's Fast Park in Flinders Lane. Photo: Fry's Fast Park Then he wondered about accommodation by installing a tram, caravan, tent or train carriage. It was during a trip to the US that Mr Fry had his light-bulb while staying in a boutique trailer park in Santa Barbara called Autocamp that has five of the upmarket silver beauties.
Mr Fry owns the car park with his father, Blair, and it was Mr Fry senior who established the Fry's Storage empire 40 years ago. The duo are accustomed to helping people fit their possessions into unique spaces.
James Fry thought of everything when it comes to Notel's personal pampering and luxury bathroom because there will be no stumbling about in the dark with legs crossed to visit a communal outhouse. He lowered the floor to ensure tall people will fit in the shower and one of the trailers being turned into the premier suite will have an outdoor private spa.
President Richard Nixon greeted astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Edwin ''Buzz'' Aldrin.
Melbourne already has an outdoor "glamping" experience at St Jerome's - The Hotel, which is atop Melbourne Central with 20 canvas bell tents.
Except there, guests have to scurry outside to the on-site "amenity units" with toilet and shower.
Airstreams have captivated retro enthusiasts since American Wally Byam built the first trailer in 1929. Its sleek space-age curves were sought after by the outer-space experts, NASA, when the first men who walked on the moon returned from their mission in 1969.
In case Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin had contracted "moon germs", an Airstream was turned into a "mobile quarantine facility" and there's a classic photo of president Richard Nixon welcoming them back to earth while their faces peered through the window.
In Australia, a tight Airstream community stays together by travelling together via the Airstream Club Australia.
Its organiser, Jessie Curtis-Griffiths, is the "Happy Glamper" renting an 1966 Airstream called Peggy Sue on the Mornington Peninsula for $520 for a weekend with one night free.
Sonia Lear and partner Remi Pham are food-trucking it in style in their 1968 Airstream with Happy Camper Pizza. In Fiztroy, the Grub Food Van run by Tim Mann and Mark Murphy evokes 1965 after being bought on eBay via Iowa.
The Airstream experience abounds on Airbnb with one in Bright, Victoria, for $136 a night or more exotic locations such as Alozaina, Spain, for $176.
Mr Fry will offer Notel for rent on the accommodation website.
"We're so lucky with how amazing Melbourne is. We're going to give people a local experience. We're going to push them into the laneways, the coffee culture, the street art and all those things that are boutique, small and hidden."
< www.theage.com.au/victoria/six-sleek-car...20160222-gn07fb.html >

More
7 years 11 months ago #168985 by Roderick Smith

More
7 years 11 months ago #168999 by Mrsmackpaul
it might not be all wood but it sure has heaps of wood in it what a great old van reckon it would way a bit with all that wood maybe not though as the timber in the US isnt any where near as heavy as Australian hard wood but sure looks the part though

Thanks for sharing Rodders

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds