Skip to main content

Tractor - 12v coil on a 6v system

More
14 years 8 months ago #12180 by HeyCharger
Hi Guys, The old 6v Autolite coil on my MH44K failed a couple of years ago. I replaced it with a 12v coil (from memory a GT40R). The old girl seems to run ok. Comments? Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12181 by bigcam
A GT40R is about a 6volt ciol.They put the resistor on them to drop the voltage,and there was another terminal on the starter motor to give it 12 volts when starting.The idea being that when cranking the voltage drops to below 12 volts (10-11) and a 6 volt ciol with 10 volts will give you a good spark when you most need it-starting.So on a 6 volt system a GT40R probobly won`t give you to many problems,don`t put a GT40 on it though,they are a 12 volt ciol.The R stands for resistor.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12182 by melonreo
hey charge
the first big question is are you using a 6 or 12 volt battery

More
14 years 8 months ago #12183 by HeyCharger

hey charge
the first big question is are you using a 6 or 12 volt battery

The whole system is 6v. However, I normally use a 12v power pack to start it. ;)

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12184 by wouldyou
Hello Rod, We have used the older Massey 102 Senior with a 12 v battery and coil for a number of years. It had a basic cut out and high/low charge switch and 6v generator keeps bat up. It saves having a 6v battery. David.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12185 by HeyCharger
Hi David. Sorry, but you lost me in your setup. Can you please explain in more detail. I've never heard of "basic cut out and high/low charge switch". Sounds interesting. My lights are still 6v, so would it blow the filaments?
Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12186 by wouldyou
Hello Rod, Our tractor is pre voltage regulators and did a lot of work in later years driving an electric welder. The only changes were the 12v battery and 12v coil, we had no lights but these would have to be 12v also. A cut out is a set of points on gen that close when charging to connect to battery. The charge switch sends full output to bat in high position and through a resister in low pos prevents overcharging . Presumably the higher voltage going to generator fields enabled it to handle 12v battery. Somebody with electrical know how could maybe comment if a 12 v regulator would handle it. On 12v the starter spins over and motor fires sooner. Regards David.

More
14 years 7 months ago #12187 by HeyCharger
For those interested, I got the old girl historically registered a couple of weeks ago and today was its first (legal) road trip. Went well. Rod.
www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a7067.jpg

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
14 years 7 months ago #12188 by bigcam
Looks good mate. ;)

More
14 years 7 months ago #12189 by wouldyou
Well done and with the Vokes air cleaner which saved a lot of oil. David.

Time to create page: 0.588 seconds