Skip to main content

Please help with IH 766 Information

More
9 years 6 months ago #149020 by Urchy87
I have recently purchased an IH 766. I was lead to believe before purchasing it that the engine was different to the American variant just by photos but could not find any information confirming my suspicions.

Now I have it I am confident they are different. I have found a bit out after a long time scrolling through the net. The Aussie ones have a DT310, German engine I believe.

Are these as good of an engine as the D360 is made out to be and what HP are they?

Is there any common faults to look out for with these engines?

And is there any other differences between the Austarilan and American models?

Thanks in advance

Adventure before Dementia.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149021 by kenny-mopar
Nothing wrong with the Neuss German made diesel motors ... Some of the Aussie international trucks had the D358. (5.8 litre). The V8 neuss wasn't a great motor in some applications

More
9 years 6 months ago #149022 by dieseldog
The 766 is a good strong tractor. I think they're only about 85 HP on the PTO, which isn't much for such a big engine and therefore there isn't much stress on anything. Injection pumps can be a hassle if something goes wrong, you can still get parts but they are expensive and not as common as say a CAV pump. The other common problem is leaking liner O rings that can let coolant leak into the sump, so keep a good coolant up to it.

The back end is pretty good with the only thing that might give trouble is the Torque Amplifier. Keeping the oil fresh and filtered and not abusing the TA will let it last forever.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149023 by dieseldog
This one is really the same thing, albeit some of features do vary and it looks a little different. The ratings and capacities should be similar though.

www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/...l-harvester-766.html

More
9 years 6 months ago #149024 by Urchy87
Ok. Thanks guys. I just got lucky. Went out to a mates place and there shining was another 766. Ive seen the tractor before but not taken any notice of it. This one is a bit different. It has a black stripe and mine is white (don't think there was much other difference though). He said I could have it for parts (it stopped running a while ago). I could see a few things from it on mine already.

The old girl I got seems to be a good runner. Not sure on hrs though as it has had a meter change out. The current one had 5400 or so on it. No smoke other than the normal and fires up strait away. My fingers are crossed.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149025 by dieseldog
The red and black paint scheme is International Harvester, and the red and white is Farmall. They're the same machine, just sold under different brands for different markets.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149026 by hayseed
My understanding is; That,

The Blackline version were all standard with the (factory Fitted) Gason Air cond cab.

& the Model with the White side panels were earlier models where the Cab was an Option (usually Dealer Fitted)..

At least that's the way the 2 that; My father bought were...

BISTBC.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 6 months ago #149027 by Urchy87
Thanks guys. The one I am getting with the black stripe does look like the cab had been installed from the factory by looking at the colour scheme etc where mine doesn't.

The 766 I purchased has a FEL with bucket and forks so it will just poke around doing garden work at the moment. The next purchase will be some implements. Not sure when I will be allowed to spend more money though. But that's a whole new topic for the forum.

Thanks for your help.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149028 by ozfarm
the blackstripe colour scheme denotes , the US bicenntenary (1976)

all IHC tractors for that yr, used that colour scheme

just got carried thru to here,

More
9 years 6 months ago #149029 by Urchy87
Thanks ozfarm.

For the guys that own or have used one of these tractors what size implements were you using.

I hope to pick up a scarifier and box combine at some stage so would like to know what I should be keeping an eye out for. At a guess I was thinking 14 foot or so.

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds