Skip to main content

Tangye engine

More
9 years 3 months ago #152553 by RayF
Replied by RayF on topic Re: Tangye engine

Hello 180wannabe,
Have had a look at eccentric engineering website, it would be an idea to have the tool holder and cobalt cutter for those difficult jobs,
I will take up your suggestion re starting with another piece hacksaw cut, did wonder if cutting with gas would create the same problem.
The material was from a Ford offset disc.
Thanks for your help.
David.
Looks like you snagged a piece of bisaloy or similar. High speed steel is a bit soft for it. Carbide insert tooling will cut it easily. Oxy cutting it means it will turn glass hard. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #152554 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Tangye engine
RayF,
We have some Chinese tools with replaceable tips, little used as they chip easily, have found with lowest speed and light cut it will handle it.

dieseldog,
Will do as you suggest, will heat and let it cool first.
It has been outside for a long time.

Thanks to both for advice., David.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by wouldyou.

More
9 years 3 months ago #152555 by RayF
Replied by RayF on topic Re: Tangye engine
If your inserts are chipping it would be worth while using a tougher grade. I normally expect to get 3 or 4 hours out of an edge and sometimes 5 times that :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #152556 by wouldyou
[IMG

Heated housing let it cool, straightened, a hammer hit moved it. Valve head profile hasn't altered over the years!
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Have to clean up crank and fit big end.
Needed those Sky Tiger tools, no corners left on any now, they are touchy.
Looking at insert diagrams those available have a lip all the way around the edge.
Square are 12.9 mil, triangular 16 mil, holders seem solid enough.
David.

More
9 years 3 months ago #152557 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Re: Tangye engine
Thanks for sharing the story Wouldyou, and the pictures make all the difference.
It really is a labour of love, and in the case of old engines the journey seems to be more important than the destination.
Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
8 years 10 months ago #152558 by wouldyou
Had to get the pulley off after welding nuts each side of the key head for it's removal, fairly tight so will use jack to press it back on.
The broken gear, turned the side to shrink a band on, had a bit of bother getting it started while keeping it hot. Cut a 1/4 inch deep groove in the other side and tapered the inner edge of the band for a tight cold press fit.
Took advice from a member on the Smokstak forum and cut a new keyway opposite the old one, to take stress away from break.
Will post this there also, have to get it right first go as can't find the preview option we have here.
Am now thinking as a first priority I should have seen if the piston would move.
David.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
8 years 10 months ago #152559 by wouldyou
After having the cylinder nose down and diesel soaking from the back left some slack on the big end and we rocked the flywheel, gradually got movement.
[IMG

Pic is as it came out, probably since fitting 100 years ago, piston and ring concept hasn't changed.
David.

More
8 years 7 months ago #152560 by wouldyou
Very quiet on the forum, a bit of progress here.
Made up a transport with wheels I had, Western Power belt these H irons in two to a pole to give them a bit more life, could need a brace underneath.
A cooling tank to make and nut out the fuel delivery system, that galvanised unit is the tank, it works on gravity so must have a check valve in the line and use suction on the inlet stroke.
Fuel is kerosene, hot bulb ignition, four stroke.
David.
[IMG

[IMG

More
8 years 7 months ago #152561 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Tangye engine
That bit of green paint make a hell of a difference . Looks like someone loves it now .
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 7 months ago #202852 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Tangye engine
How have you gone with this? I've just agreed to buy one.....in bits.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds