Skip to main content

International A40 - 1 Superloader

More
9 years 5 days ago #155548 by Sarge
Forum Helpers, I need some advice.... free sort preferably...

I am the very happy owner of an International Superloader, which is basically an AW6 tractor built back to front with a massive Loader frame wrapped around it, all Inter Factory built.

My problem...well one of them... :o is the bearing housing on the axle end has busted, I believe the outer bearing has broken and allowed the bearing to gyrate, I actually saw it burst the housing as I drove forward, it had been making ominous crunching noises occasionally for years.

And the real problem is... I cant pull the axle out. :'(
I have moved it out 15 mm with a ratchet winch, I just jacked her up on that side undid the busted bearing housing and pulled. The wheel still rotates.
It has dropped about 10mm, but I have lowered her down to level it and used a long bar to jiggle it but apart from muscle building exercise, I dont seem to have moved the axle out any further.

I have the parts book, I wonder if I need to remove the Axle Carrier as well???? :-/ :-/ That is gonna be a big job as the loader is carried on it and it may even prevent the housing from coming away.

So learned gentlemen, you expert opinion please.

And in case the picture confuses you, the wheel would be at position 33. And the broken bearing housing is part number 30. (The Loader frame sits exactly where the number 22 points to. :o :o)

18 is listed as Washer, bull gear retaining then is says bolt 3/4unf 1 1/4 2 used (plus washers)... the bolts are not shown (as you can see... ) does this mean it is bolted to the axle or something else like 17 or 16?????

I thank you in advance. :)

[IMG

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 days ago #155549 by dieseldog
Having never pulled one apart, my best guess is that the bull gear is secured to the axle shaft by a big nut. In a lot of other makes, that seems to be the most popular way of doing things...

More
9 years 5 days ago #155550 by Mrsmackpaul
diesel dog I feel is on the right track might be a big cir clip
might be able to to access thru the hole were the top link bolts on maybe not sure if that model has a hole under the casting or not
other wise will have to lift the lid on the final drive

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 5 days ago #155551 by dno
As others have suggested, I'd be having a good look at No 18 on your diagram.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
9 years 5 days ago #155552 by ianoz
Fair way Away Sarge . But have a friend up here with one he got for the engine parts.

More
9 years 5 days ago - 9 years 5 days ago #155553 by hayseed
Sarge,

if you look at your Diagram, you'll see that the Bullgear#19, is Driven by a pinion.
The pinion housing appears to have a notch in it for the Bullgear to run & make contact with the pinion..
this notch will be what's stopping you from removing the axle housing & Bullgear from the Loader..

you'll need to remove the Top off the rsend & remove that Pinion housing & Diff hemisphere, before being able to remove the Axle housing.. I think you'll find #16 is the Diff Crownwheel...

Just My 2 cents worth....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 9 years 5 days ago by hayseed.

More
9 years 4 days ago #155554 by Sarge
Well gents, I am not sure I understand...
No.15 Pinion, differential 15 teeth.
No.16 Gear, drive Bevel (50 teeth)
no.18 Washer, Bull gear retaining (with 2 3/4 x 1-1/4 bolts)

The case has no entry points unless there is a PTO hole behind the battery box. (I cant find a drawing for any of the major castings)

Does this mean lift the 1 tonne plus frame off the axle carrier (no.22) unbolt and pull the whole thing out with the wheel. Or bugger & damm, do I have to remove the wheel (took three weeks to get the other wheel of to fix the tyre... tyre bloke in the truck came and left after nearly 3 hours,,, sorry mate, cant do it... I used a jack and FBFH... and lotsa swear words and ....)
And then the wheel weights and etc etc... :o :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I guess it makes sense that something holds the stuff in place on the other end, if it didn't and I slipped the axle out, then how would I line them all up to go back in??? :o :o

It's gunna get tricky, bits wood under here, longer bit there, few bricks, coupla jacks and a long bar... :o :-/ Might almost end up having to take the tractor out of the frame, all hanging on sky hooks. I will pinch the missus phone and take a coupla photo's ....

Thanks for the replies fella's and Ianoz... just a bit too far for the ACCO this week.... but tell him they are a bit rare...

/me standing around scratching his head and swearing a lot

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 years 4 days ago - 9 years 4 days ago #155555 by hayseed
Sorry Sarge, I'll try & explain My thinking a bit clearer (if I can)

#19 The big Bullgear Is driven by #9 which runs inside #3 you can see the slot/notch in #3 where the Bullgear runs (they've only numbered one side but everything to the right of #17 (locking tabs) is also No's 1-10)

#11-15 are the all the Differential hemisphere /sidegears ect. which bolts to #16 (your book calls It a Bevel gear & I called it the Crownwheel) which in turn is driven by the diff pinion (which isn't displayed in the Diagram)

I can't see how #3 is attached to #22..

I'm sure you'll have to remove the Loader frame so as you can remove #22 ect as a unit..
Having owned a IH Superloader many Years ago I can Truly appreciate what a P.I.T.A. job you have in front of you..

Again just My 2 cents worth & more than happy to be corrected..

Good Luck

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 9 years 4 days ago by hayseed.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 4 days ago #155556 by Swishy
Sum Good ad vice from above Sarge : -X

jist me 2 cents worth
may B the bearing U busted go n thru the crusher could be lodged
in the housing n prevent n it from B n with drawn

rotatin n wobblin n jerkin the wheel may loosen up the broken bits
for xtraction or use compressed air az u're friend to blo out the bitz while play n ruff wiff it

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 4 days ago #155557 by Bluey60
Hi Sarge
You will have to take the top off the transmission
housing depending on what model it might have a
join just behing [tractor] just in front [loader] of
the gearstick or it might be in one piece right through