International A40 - 1 Superloader

More
8 years 1 month ago #167464 by ianoz
I can see the photos .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #167466 by wouldyou
Sarge
I would have expected those unused holes to be threaded, they don't appear to be.
A bolt is screwed in against the wheel to press the tapered halves out. Could you tap a thread in them, or weld a nut on the face?
David.

More
8 years 1 month ago #167469 by Mrsmackpaul
bugger me the forum is having a moment I typed out a reply before and well it has not taken or I dunno

I reckon the holes that arent threaded will go thru to the internal wedge and should have a bolt with a washer welded to it to push the wedge internal wedge out from outside the wheel If that makes any sense

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 1 month ago #167478 by Sarge
David, I expected them to be threaded too.... Paul, I am not sure what you mean, I cant feel anything at the end/back of the hole, it just sems to be part of the wheel. And I see nothing recognisable in the drawings on the first page of this topic... I must dig out the parts book and see if the wheel its self is shown.

Thanks guys.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #167487 by Tacho
.G'day Sarge, from what I can see the two holes that are dirty should be threaded. The idea was to screw two bolts into those and apply pressure to the inner cast centre so the cast halves will release and come out. Because the assembly has been there for many years that theory may not work straight away, but given time, patience and some gentle persuasion, eventually it will happen. ( I hope )

Others have said the same yet you indicate they are not threaded.

Geoff
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Tacho.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 1 month ago #167488 by Swishy
Sarge
M80

me nose nutn

start take n tyre off n rim
me guessing th@ the 2 halves may turn 90 of them thar degrees to release from hub etc

Butt
Wadda eye kno

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 1 month ago #167489 by Mrsmackpaul
On later model Inters there is wedge on the inside of the wheel and on the out side of the wheel both on the keyed side of the shaft and as the bolt is tightened both wedges are pulled towards each other and they do lock on tight as all get out

Cant shift the wheels until the wedge is
so if you only have one wedge on the out side the wheel will have to be pushed in towards the tractor if you had some axle sticking out I would hit real hard straight down on the axle with the biggest hammer you have will take a fair few hits and it will rattle the wedge out always leave the bolt a bit in because they take off it will go like a rocket and I reckon they would hurt like all get out if it hit you

I'll see if I can find some drawings or something somebody must know maybe speak to the old IH tractor mechanic at Kerang he might know I can find his phone number for you if thats any help

Paul

More
8 years 1 month ago #167500 by dieseldog
If there is enough room to get a nut in between the tapered hub and the wheel centre, you can put a bolt through the holes to push the tapers out. Use a full size, short bolt in the normal holes and a long bolt (or HT threaded rod), one size down from the threaded holes, so as to push on the bottom of the hole. That gives you six bolts of pushing power. Run a hose on the back of the axle and put as much heat as you can into the wheel hub. Tighten the bolts as much as you dare and give the end of the axle a good hit and it should spring free. Keep the wheel off the ground so it doesn't absorb any shock from the hammer, but tie it to the tractor so it doesn't fall over. Other than that, just keep persevering....

More
8 years 1 month ago #167517 by Sarge
thanks for the advice guys... I am still trying to digest what that all means... Swish, the Beaurepairs man came out one time the change the wheel/tyre, he gave up after 2 hours, 3 weeks later I got the rim off the hub.. hours of bashing and two two ton jacks pushing it off the frame...

and anyway...

all I had to do was look at the other wheel.... there are two, one each side.... and see the threaded holes...
scrape scratch puff, blow... yep both sides the same....

now for some daylight.... no axle sticking out to bash on and nothing on the other side, so put some safety bolts back in and some pusher bolts in the threaded holes and spray with the slippery stuff.... turn a little more each day.. might have to get my mate to re-tap the holes, though the paint looks original, it is a shallow fine thread...

watch this goose...space...

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:

More
8 years 1 month ago #167521 by Mrsmackpaul
shouldnt have to take days to loosen I just did a wheel this afternoon pipe and 3/4 drive ratchet inside wedge loose porta power and few seconds outside wedge loose a whole heap of diesel squirted in and around all done

but in your case maybe clean them threads once the bolts are done up super tight belt the axle anywhere you can with a big hammer sort of helps to rattle the axle and wedge loose some how ????

Paul

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds