may B take the Bridgstone n rim off of beast

or am eye miss n the point ?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168689 by Mrsmackpaul
dumb question time from dumber farmer in north QLD what are the two bolts on the out side of the puller screwed into ????

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianoz

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168690 by wouldyou
Sarge,
As with Mrsmack I can't see what the outer puller bolts are fixed to, are they hooked behind the wedges?
Can you get a threaded rod or long bolt to screw in to the axle through a plate pressing on the cast wheel centre as you now have. The puller would not be needed, the plate would have to be heavier or reinforced as the one in your photo would easily bend.
Cheers, David.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168710 by Sarge
The two bolts in the wedges are only half started in as someone said I needed them to stop the wedge flying out and cracking me in the knee cap... they have 10/15 mm clearance...
And the two bolts or arms on the puller are hooked behind the wedges, there is a 8 or 10 mm gap behind the wedge.

David, I have been a bit reluctant to risk damage to the thread in the axle, I can buy my mate a new puller if i bugger that. and yes I need to reinforce the plate, it has a bend already.

Swishy the hair is mine, from banging my head against what should be easy but turns out to be almost impossible.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168712 by ozfarm
one little suggestion i could make,

find someone who has a puller set up to remove the rear hubs off a case LA,500,830,900,930 , case used a tapered hub they have apuller thread of 2" dia,

tap them bolt holes out to a thread size u can get

do it up tight, then give the thread bit a rather good whack on the end with a BFH and then retighten

methinks u aint gunna do any good trying to push the wheel centre in, cos the wedges are meant to be removed

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168713 by Mrsmackpaul
fun times a plenty Sarge you'll get there Im sure of that I have one more idea if you have no luck with what your doing only problem is its a lot more work

Hang I just had another thought hmmm shouldnt that Paul you will strain the peanut of brain

If you know anyone with Cat dozers they need big pullers up to a hundred ton to pull and push the sprockets on dozers so if you know of anyone close by with Cats maybe give them a call and they might know who has the pulling gear in your area

If that doesnt work I have a fail proof or maybe thats fool proof plan LOL

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168714 by wouldyou
Sarge,
An armchair expert here.
Stiffening the plate to make it rigid is the way to go
Ozfarm, when pulling on the wedge there is friction on both sides, if the hub can be pressed in a bit it eases the pressure on the splines, as you say tapping the holes next size up would be the way to go and the studs will force the hub in as intended.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
7 years 10 months ago #171262 by Sarge
Well, max the expert was here today, he had a bigger puller, you know the one with the grease piston in the centre, it is of heavier construction than the one I was using, rated about 10 ton... so Max screwed and I slammed the cast wheel centre with the 11/2 inch 15 kilo solid bar, almost playing tubular bells :lol: , end result, as you would expect, nothing. Well not quite nothing, we did strip the push bolt hole on one side, so worse off now than when I started, might end up with forearms like Popeye's if I have to keep slamming the bar. :dry: :dry: :( not a good look in a skinny ninny.

Max will see a bloke about a short ram for his power pack, then we think we will tap out all the holes in the wedges, so we can bolt a plate to the wedges with the ram in between, pushing on the axle end, should get more than 10 ton going that way.

:blink: I a, calling this progress.... we have done something that needed to be done, so we can do something different next time. Max has identified the wedges as being very long,and rusted in so not likely to respond to a hard hit. :blush:

David, I think the power pack will work as you described with the threaded rod. Thanks.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173449 by Bluey60
Hi Sarge
I take it you haven't felt the earth move just a thought if you can tap the push
holes a size bigger as well as the porter power it will give the wheel centre a push
back off the taper of the wedges only thing you won't get the thread right through
so you will have to grind/turn the ends of the bolts that you use to push with
down so they will go through the end of the hole with no thread I'd say you would
need at least 1" without thread
THEN get as much pressure on the puller the pushing bolts belt hell out of everything
then still with all the pressure on start the old girl up and tear off across the paddock
as fast as it will go and shake the shite out of it

Bluey

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173455 by Lang
I am finding this an interesting thread not because of the job in hand but the fact we have many experts on the forum ranging from degree holding engineers to apprentice mechanics and none have come up with an ingenious technical solution. The never say die cockies are working together on the get a bigger hammer principle and are not going to let the bastard beat them. I am sure you blokes will get that fitting off soon.

Just had a look on a boat forum with people talking about getting a prop off. While not exactly the same as your problem there are some real gems of ideas that could be applied to your situation. Have a read right through all the responses, there are some very experienced and smart blokes on there along with the usual keen advisers.

forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?1547...rick-to-pulling-prop

Here is a discussion by some Yanks with similar problem on old tractors - might be some clues for you.

www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=jd&th=220966

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds