Skip to main content

Mc Cormick International GL 100 hay rake

More
6 years 7 months ago #185456 by Mobile 1
HI All, Can anyone help with parts for this old rake I have picked up, it looks like its hit a stump or fence post and broken the axle bearing housing on the drive side and cracked the gearbox housing which are both cast steel . the rake is the one with 2 12 inch trailing wheels and 2 16 inch front wheels with a enclosed gearbox.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185478 by Sarge
Where In this great country are you hiding Moby One???? I have a lot of experience with these rakes, the bearing carrier is very poorly constructed, mine has let go when working at allowed the chain to go slack and jam on the chassis, smashing a brand new (os) drive cog.... specially made out of pure Unobtainium. :dry:

My gear box has a crack right across it, so I made the oil a bit thicker with a heap of grease, I didnt even bother with a silicon skin, though if you had the time an patience some sort of sealer applied on a clean and dry diff inside could make any leak negligible. :whistle:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185479 by Mrsmackpaul
If they are cast steel just weld them up with normal welding rods but not with a mig welder as it will crack again

If they are cast iron weld them up with nickle welding rods, no need to pre heat just into it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 7 months ago #185480 by Mobile 1
Thank You very much for responding, I am between Kyneton and Heathcote Vic , I am in the middle of pulling the gearbox out to strip it and hopefully weld it but not sure if it cast steel or cast iron, also it has the a broken axle bearing housing as when at some time hit a gate post and broken the two bolt wings on the cast housing and they are missing, so I am trying to locate both another gearbox housing and the bearing housing,also I dont know how to tell cast steel from cast iron.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185481 by Mobile 1
Thank You Paul , Much Obliged, Can you tell me how one tells cast iron from cast steel,Regards John.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185483 by hayseed
Have go at posting some Pictures Mate.
Might just jog some dim dark memory/brain cells into gear, amongst us ..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 7 months ago #185489 by Mobile 1
I have tried before to do photos but have trouble still not sure how to do it , Thanks for the thought Regards John.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185490 by Mrsmackpaul

Mobile 1 wrote: Thank You Paul , Much Obliged, Can you tell me how one tells cast iron from cast steel,Regards John.

If your un sure just touch it with a grinder steel gives off lots and lots of bright orange sparks cast iron gives off dull and very few sparks

Cast iron also dull greyish almost black when ground and steel is nice and shiney

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mobile 1

More
6 years 7 months ago #185516 by Sarge
I would expect it to be cast iron, and the bearing carrier is very similar to off the shelf bearing carriers in a steel housing, in fact I think you will find your bearing is only a brass or steel bush. I will post photo tomorrow if I can.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185524 by Mobile 1
Thank you Sarge, I look forward to seeing that, I am in real trouble now as the crack was all the way round and very carefully removing the gear box to strip it to see what can be done it completely parted in two.

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds