Skip to main content

fordson power major brake adjustment

More
6 years 6 months ago #188265 by scratcha
G'day all, ive been asked to adjust the brakes on the Uncles power major, has a perkins in it, pressed tin bonnet.

How the hell do i do it? it has a external drum out one side which i think is the hand brake.

Im a couple of hundred kms from it so dont have picks.

thanks in advance

Scratcha

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188268 by PDU
I think we have a service manual for a Fordson Major at our Heritage Centre. Bear with me and I'll check tomorrow ;)

More
6 years 6 months ago #188286 by JOHN.K.
How many cylinders.3cyl is a 957e or a Dexta.These have brake in the wheels,adjusted with a star wheel on a threaded expander,like a Holden.If its a 6cyl,its a E27N then if brake in wheel,adjust is a square peg,as Girling wedge brakes,if brake drums on side then adjust threaded expander,like Holden.But,IIRC,the Super ,Power majors are 4cy fords.Anyway ag tractors have brakes on side,industrial brakes in wheels.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188288 by Sarge
Sounds like an E27N/P6, I think the difference between a standard E27N and the P6 is just the mighty Perkins, the brakes will be the same.
Pity Ford went out of business, we coulda rung them :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :silly:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188292 by JOHN.K.
he s talking Perkins,then Power Major.Dont go together.If E27N ,brakes are the same basically as the Major series..Industrial in the wheels,ag in side drums.Very different .

More
6 years 5 months ago #188298 by paulc20
It can't be an E27N, they don't have a pressed tin bonnet as mentioned in original post, they have the fuel tank exposed.
Paul

More
6 years 5 months ago #188301 by Mrsmackpaul
I think the Dexta had a Perkins from new
But I dont know bugger all about these

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #188309 by dieseldog
The E27N diesel had the P6 Perkins. The Major diesels have the 4 cyl Ford engines. The Dexta has the 3 cyl Ford-Perkins. Dexta's have outboard drum brakes, with the star wheel threaded adjuster. Early Majors have inboard drum brakes, running on the pinion shafts that drive the bull gears, and are adjusted with a star wheel adjuster. Later Majors have inboard disc brakes. Brake adjustment is through a bolt inside the housing which controls the slack in the internal linkages. The threaded rod outside the housing adjusts the pedal height.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by dieseldog.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188328 by wee-allis
Diesel Dextas had the P3 Perkins as developed for Ford and the petrol ones had the same engine as the grey Fergy mounted up with an adaptor plate.

Story goes that Ford wanted a diesel to complete with the TEF grey Fergy so got Perkins to develop the P3. At this time there was still a fair bit of angst between Harry Ferguson and Ford, so Harry bought Perkins to force Ford to buy their diesels from him. That was when Ford produced their own diesels and the rest is history.

On a side note, P3s could be bought as a aftermarket replacement for the Fergy FE 35.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188330 by PDU
Hooooeeeeee, in hindsight I reckon I'll leave it to these guys who know what it's all about!?
IF there is a manual I'll scan the necessary pages and put them on here later . . . :unsure: . . . maybe???

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds