Skip to main content

question about power assisted brakes

More
6 years 5 months ago #188727 by JMR
Hello all.

I have an old Cranvel crane, hydraulic disc in the front with 3 calipers per side operated off a big hand lever and rear chamberlain go faster brakes on a foot pedal.

the 2 master cylinders for the crane axle brakes are rusted out and trashed but calipers seem okay.

What would be my best bet for foot operated power brakes? fitting a vacuum pump alternator and using a vac assist master cylinder?
fitting a compressor and using an air/hydraulic setup?

Cheers.

Jacko.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188730 by Mrsmackpaul
Jack O I would say yes you are on the money for what I would do
I would also add a vacuum tank and a non return valve just encase you are idling around and need some brakes in hurray or maybe stall it and have some thing hanging of the hook and need brakes

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 5 months ago #188733 by hayseed
How bad are your Cylinders?
A good brake place should be able to resleeve them I would Think...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 5 months ago #188735 by JMR
Mrs

That was my original thought, think the vacuum system is a lot easier to make from scratch without trying to find a compressor to fit the 270 perk plus all the associated valves etc.

Hayseed

I was going to try and revive them but I figured if I am going to fix all the linkages etc on the big handbrake I might try and make it more user friendly and have a foot brake, its a mongrel thing to drive as it is without needing your hand for the brakes!

its got 3 calipers on each disc but is missing one and for the speed I drive it at I think 2 would be enough on each wheel.

Thanks fellas

More
6 years 5 months ago #188738 by JOHN.K.
Spent many years fixing Cranvel,BHB,and Warman tractor mobiles.You must have front brakes,the crane has little traction at the back with anything like rated load,and will run away.The normal system on BHBs was air/maxi on the back,hyd disc front with one booster,and a footvalve.If you are handy to Brisbane,i can fix you up with what you need.No long distance repairs though.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188739 by JOHN.K.
Just a thought,is this a triple ram Cranvel 'dinosaur" that drives back to front.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188740 by JMR
Hello John

I wish I was. but Mareeba is a long way from Brisbane! :) From what I've read i think id love to just see all your old stuff...

My friend has a Pacific with air brakes and maxis and it pulls up really well.

I am lucky that the hydraulic pump is not up to lifting a rated load of 6ton on the back hook and the pump stalls at about 2ton and the boom has a few twists so I don't think id push it.

would you advise against going the vacuum route?

Thanks

Jacko.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188741 by JMR
nah just a 2 cylinder job, pivots just forward of the tractor diff with a linkage over the bonnet in tension. Dad reckons he can remember it at the mill when he was an apprentice.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188742 by JOHN.K.
Compressed air is the go.A lot more compact,and bits are available.Used to be exempt from inspection if under 3 ton.CraneSafe has killed all the old tractors,my boss had a BHB they paid $58,000 for ,after cranesafe,sold for $5000 at auction.Had a $7000 repaired extension cylinder just prior.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188743 by JOHN.K.
I remember now,this is the one that was running on waste frying oil.

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds