Skip to main content

Perkins/Champion

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192104 by Dave_64
Perkins/Champion was created by Dave_64
Know very little about rubber-tyred farm tractors, but came across what I first thought was an old blue Fordson Major at a museum in Inglewood, central Vic earlier today.
Wandered over to have a look and found it to be a Champion with what looked like a very early"P" series Perkins.
As usual, didn't get a photo to post. Not being all that familiar with them, thought that maybe may have been related to a Chamberlain.
Anyone who has been to the Eucalyptus Museum may be able to shed a bit of light on it, was also an early "Butter-Box" Acco 180, also possibly Perkins powered that had the mobile cooking unit on the back, huge old steel bin, heaps of home made plumbing.
Both looked like they had done a fair bit of hard yakka in their day, now just gracing the paddock. At least they escaped the scrappies.
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #192105 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic Perkins/Champion
The early Chamberlain Champions had a Perkins L4,the later ones had a Perkins 4-270.There were some that came out with a Meadows diesel motor but to the best of my knowledge none had a P series Perkins.This is my Chamberlain industrial MK2. You can see the inline injector pump that is characteristic of the Perkins L4.

You can't have too many toys!
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by oliver1950. Reason: Picture didn't show
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192110 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Perkins/Champion
oliver1950,
should have checked the pump, I thought it was a rotary type, but had most of the engine hidden behind the draught arms for the front end loader setup. I did notice that it had a C.A.V. fuel filter with a sedimentor glass bowl on it, but that could have always been have put on later.
But, I admit I have never really had anything to do with them.
You mentioned that some came out with the Meadows engines, have heard of them, may have seen one or two at a field day many years ago, seen one set up on either a lighting plant or maybe an irrigation pump. Also have an idea that they used to use them as a truck engine, was it in some of the Dennis trucks?
Somebody will know on here. Went out of business quite a while ago, I think. So that would date this old Champion with an L4 back in when? Late 40's--early 50's??
Again, I'm only guessing.
Cheers, Dave

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192111 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Perkins/Champion
Oliver 1950
I have a champion industrial here with a front end loader it has a rotary injector pump so I'm guesing it's a 4-270
It has a bit of a problem well I'm hoping its only a bit of a problem the universal that goes on the front of the crankshaft that drives the hydrolic pump has come adrift
just wondering how it attaches I have a horrible feeling if it threads onto the end of the crankshaft there may be a bit of threaded crankshaft in the uni
Can only just fit my hand in can't get a decent look and don't know if I want to

Bluey

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192112 by oliver1950

Dave_64 wrote: oliver1950,
should have checked the pump, I thought it was a rotary type, but had most of the engine hidden behind the draught arms for the front end loader setup. I did notice that it had a C.A.V. fuel filter with a sedimentor glass bowl on it, but that could have always been have put on later.
But, I admit I have never really had anything to do with them.
You mentioned that some came out with the Meadows engines, have heard of them, may have seen one or two at a field day many years ago, seen one set up on either a lighting plant or maybe an irrigation pump. Also have an idea that they used to use them as a truck engine, was it in some of the Dennis trucks?
Somebody will know on here. Went out of business quite a while ago, I think. So that would date this old Champion with an L4 back in when? Late 40's--early 50's??
Again, I'm only guessing.
Cheers, Dave

Dave, mine is a 1956 model
www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/5/...ain-champion-6g.html
If the one you saw had a rotary pump it would be a 9G with the Perkins 4-270 motor
www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/003/9/...ain-champion-9g.html
Perkins P6 engines had in line pumps.They were available as an option on the Fordson E27N Major and as standard on the Massey Harris 744.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192113 by oliver1950

Bluey60 wrote: Oliver 1950
I have a champion industrial here with a front end loader it has a rotary injector pump so I'm guesing it's a 4-270
It has a bit of a problem well I'm hoping its only a bit of a problem the universal that goes on the front of the crankshaft that drives the hydrolic pump has come adrift
just wondering how it attaches I have a horrible feeling if it threads onto the end of the crankshaft there may be a bit of threaded crankshaft in the uni
Can only just fit my hand in can't get a decent look and don't know if I want to Bluey

No good new Bluey,looks like they have removed the front pulley retaining nut and adapted it to the thread.I would have thought they would have made an adapter plate that bolted onto the front pulley and driven it from there.

The hydraulic pump on mine is driven from the pto shaft at the back of the gearbox.If it wasn't for the front end loader arms yours would be fairly easy to get to,once you remove the bonnet take off the front cowl and then the radiator assembly.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds