Skip to main content

Ruston Bucyrus

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #194161 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Ruston Bucyrus
These are the grandfathers.

This is great story of the Panama Canal - Bucyrus factory film.

and the Poms with a Rustin before the companies amalgamated.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rusty Engines, Southbound, xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194163 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Ruston Bucyrus
Lang, some fabulous old footage there on both the old machinery and Bucyrus-Eire even if it is a bit of company self promo, beats me where some of this stuff comes from that you blokes get hold of. Do have one query however, parent company I always took to be Bucyrus-Eire, got looked up somehow, sometime with Ruston & Hornsby, which I had always thought to be Pommy and were big in marine and locomotive power?? Dave

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #194165 by Lang
Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd was an engineering company established in 1930 and jointly owned by Ruston and Hornsby based in Lincoln, England and Bucyrus-Erie based in Bucyrus, Ohio, the latter of which had operational control and into which the excavator manufacturing operation of Ruston and Hornsby was transferred. The Bucyrus company proper, from which the Bucyrus component of the Ruston-Bucyrus name was created, was an American company founded in 1880, in Bucyrus, Ohio.

Ruston

The original company was Proctor and Burton established in 1840, operating as millwrights and engineers. They became Ruston, Proctor and Company in 1857 when Joseph Ruston joined them, acquiring limited liability status in 1899. From 1866 they built a number of four and six-coupled tank locomotives, one of which was sent to the Paris Exhibition in 1867. In 1868 they built five 0-6-0 tank engines for the Great Eastern Railway to the design of Samuel W. Johnson. Three of these were converted to crane tanks, two of which lasted until 1952, aged eighty-four. Among the company's output were sixteen for Argentina and some for T. A. Walker, the contractor building the Manchester Ship Canal.

During the First World War, Ruston assisted in the war effort, producing some of the very first tanks and a number of aircraft, notably the Sopwith Camel.

On 11 September 1918, the company amalgamated with Richard Hornsby & Sons of Grantham to become Ruston and Hornsby Ltd (R&H). Hornsby was the world leader in heavy oil engines, having been building them since 1891, a full eight years before Rudolph Diesel's engine was produced commercially.

Ruston built oil and diesel engines in sizes from a few HP up to large industrial engines. The company also diversified into the manufacture of petrol engines, again from around 1.5 hp upwards, some of these designs were later manufactured under licence by The Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Comp
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Rusty Engines

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #194167 by Lang
This is serious digging!
Bucyrus

But all good things come to an end - very sad.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Southbound

More
5 years 8 months ago #194433 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Ruston Bucyrus
If I could find a backhoe boom for the Harman,Id convert it into a shovel......ive seen plenty around,but considered them scrap...........in fact a few years ago,I bought a unused face shovel assy at the Water Resources auction at Rocklea....no prize for guessing where it went.I rmember I also bought 4 big reels of wire rope,new,for scrap price.......4 ton reels..you dont want to price wire rope now..........a 150 metre truck winch lot of new wire costs $2000 ........yet even new wire is usually given away at auctions.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds