Skip to main content

Humpty Dumpy

More
5 years 8 months ago #195133 by cobbadog
Humpty Dumpy was created by cobbadog
A couple of months back we found one of these little Dumpers. Don't know why we wanted one but I always have and when it turned up for sale it was too good to let go. It was a trip to Goulburne to pick it up from near Taree but well worth it. Sure it did have a few mechanical issues but it presented well. The steering was so bad but I found that the steering peg on the sector shaft showed a little bit of wear as shown in the pic. So a welding project was set up and it got hammered while it was still hot and helped to shape it and only took a little bit of grinding to make it work properly. I spent almost 2 month trying to identify the make and model and eventually I found that it was a Liner - Roughrider made by the Concrete Manufacturing Company in the UK. I also had to get the hand brake to work again, source and fit all new filters then had some decals made to place in strategic places around the dumper.
At the moment I am installing a second seat and a safety hand rail for Dee to sit on when we are at Rallies doing a Grande Parade. Humpty runs a 13.2hp @ 1800RPM 2 cylinder Lister diesel and has a 3 speed Newage Coventry gearbox with a Salisbury (Landrover ) diff.
Humpty is sitting on the back of Lorry who takes us, some toys and a caravan to Rallies Lorry is a 1991 Hino FC144

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: xspanrman, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195134 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Humpty Dumpy
You're a lucky man for having Dee want to come along with you to shows.

My wife tolerates my interests but won't get involved in any shape or form.

Gives me a break. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 8 months ago #195138 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Humpty Dumpy
Cobbald, great little unit, good choice of side kick.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195144 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Humpty Dumpy
A great resto of a once-fairly common little jigger but never seen now. You have done it proud. When you have fitted the second seat, put it on Historic Registration and Dee can take it to town to do the shopping! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Oww. ask her to stop hitting me with that handbag!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 8 months ago #195162 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Humpty Dumpy
The steering box is /was a Burman half nut type with recirculating ball nut.....Often they are completely knackered from water.....and even years ago parts were very expensive......just like the little Gemmer boxes.,where one small bearing was $600.....Unfortunately you cant use a car box,cause the steering will be opposite....or put up with it.....Ive recently sold the remains of half a dozen dumpys of different brands.....still have one like yours and another for spares....but steering box in bits .

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195164 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Humpty Dumpy
Thanks guys for the positive comments. Dee not only loves going to rallies but she is a hands on girl. She did most of the engine rebuild on her little grey fergy. I was allowed to climb underneath and undo the sump and get all the crap in my eyes and allowed to crack all the tight bolts and do some heavy lifting but Dee was there all the way pulling pistons and liners out, fitting the new rings to the new pistons and the bearings to the big ends and caps everything that she could do she did. At the end of the rebuild to see her turn on the fuel give it power and select the start position and the engine burst straight to life, the look on her face was just amazing. Worth the little bit of extra time explaining what the parts were and what they do was so worth the effort. Then she did the brakes and axle seals as well. Riveting the new linings on the shoes was an anger management class and so bloody funny but she did very well.
The steering box on Humpty may not be an original one. It has BISHOP stamped on the flat plate that keeps the sector shaft in place. I Googled Bishop steering box and came up with an MG site in the UK which shows a exploded view of this box and that they were used in some of the early MG cars. Then Googled Bishop again and found they are still in business and that they supplied the power steering boxed the the Kingswoods here and now concentrate on rack n pinion steering and race car steering boxes. Now with this box it appears to have been installed backwards because of the what you have already mentioned. It has the bung to fill the steering box faces towards the rear of Humpty and slightly downwards. SO if it ever runs out of oil you cant top it up high enough using the filler plug. So the only way to get enough oil in there from now would be to remove the top felt seal which is easy and pour oil down there and guess the amount.
Now Humpty has been to his first rally with us and is about to go to the Cranky Handle Rally at Richmondvale Railway Museum in a couple of weeks, it is amazing how many people say I have one at home or is it for sale and so on. One guy I know said he has the self loading model of one of these type of Dumpers, there are a lot of different makes. Also found out that they made this model with a small back hoe on the rear and can load itself so how handy would that be? When we went to pick Humpty up there were a few of Humptys' younger cousins working at the Sydney end of the M1 where they were being loaded by a mini excavator. Not only that, there was one there that was made using the same design as the really big Mining Dump trucks, a small cabin and a load board above the the cab to protect the driver. Then heading further South there were more out at Winton doing road construction so they are becomming popular again. Landscapers are after them as well so if you see one grab it, get it running and you will sell it quickly.
Thanks again for all your interest in Humpty.

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by cobbadog.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195172 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Humpty Dumpy
I had one of them or similar when we started the hydro farm with little dollars.
BUT I cut off the bucket and added the mast from a pallet stacker walk behind machine with a couple of tilt rams and ho, we had a forklift.
Used that for years until the dollars were rolling in and sold it to an apaiarist (bee keeper) up north.

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195173 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Humpty Dumpy
Cobbadog,
Your little lady makes four women who not only tolerate but get involved in the hobby, that I have come across in more than fifty years. Unfortunately for me, all of them were/are married when I met them.
You are an extremely lucky man.

My wife calls my favourite vehicles, both trucks and cars, "Rusty old piles of shit." That goes for even those that were running when purchased and are still running, without any rust anywhere.

She was in tears just yesterday when she claimed that if I had not spent any money on vehicles, she could have the house of her dreams. (That is no doubt true but I am not about to admit it) My explanation that she knew about my hobby as soon as she met me, did not do anything to help! This was brought on by me suggesting that as she says she is so bored when I am restoring a vehicle or attending an event, she should look for a part-time job or volunteer one day a week at an Opportunity Shop or at the Tourist Information Centre.

For Sale (Free) One Wife, large economy size, only 63 years old, one previous owner before me. Wishes to be kept in a style to which she has not been accustomed. Never complains when she is asleep, only when awake. Will deliver.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 8 months ago #195174 by Travis
Replied by Travis on topic Humpty Dumpy
Morris, I enjoyed reading that,
Judging by your offer to deliver your beloved wife somewhere she doesn't view these posts, anyway I will ask around for you as I like to help people in need.
However I don't think you will have to install a second phone line to handle all of the phone calls, as I don't think your alone, just the only one with enough guts to post that.
Travis.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195182 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Humpty Dumpy
Yep, Dee is a keeper for me thanks. She has a good eye for our hobby. A long time back she spotted a little engine in the distance and the owner was placing a for sale sign on it. I was a bit busy talking to another restorer and Dee excused herself and told me she going to look at an engine for sale. Not long after she came back asking where is the cheque book we now own a 2hp horizontal hit n miss Buzacott. It has and is a very reliable engine and does not stop running until we cut the fuel. She also badgered the poor bugga down to a very respectable price for us.
Sorry Morris but I did have a model like that one that had no sense of humour and the personality of a f**t I do not wish to go back to those days. I have noticed that some Rallies are starting to display things that would normally appeal to Women and children to try and encourage them to a Rally. this can only be a step in the right direction for many couples.
All we need is more toys and noise to get us there.

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds