Skip to main content

Smash ya piggy banks for the greatest auction ever

• Topic Author
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #20228 by
Well, I dunno how many of you blokes have heard about this auction .. but it looks like it's the antique auction to beat all antique auctions in Australia. I'm darn sure I've never seen one like it, before ..

WHERE: Clare, S.A. ..

WHEN: Over 2 days - March 25th and 26th, 2010 ..

WHAT: Around 3000 items of a private museum collection to go under the hammer .. ranging from a 1917 Renard Road Train .. to tractors .. crawlers .. trucks .. cars .. utes .. stationary engines .. signs .. agricultural equipment of every sort and type imaginable .. pumps .. oil bottles, containers and drums .. bowsers .. number plates .. telephones .. cameras .. trains and train sets .. drays .. carts .. sulkies .. horse harness .. toys .. saws .. books .. kitchen & household ware .. even a narrow gauge mine train and carriages .. to myriads of small everyday items, from olden times ..

This auction will be worth attending, just as an antique fest .. let alone putting in a bid on something. There are some figures being bandied around as to the huge $$'s that are going to be paid for some of the rarer items .. but the sellers may get a surprise. The Global Financial Crunch has reduced values on many things, and I personally think that perhaps antique values may have been reigned in. The advantage to buyers, of a sale this size, is that there's an item for everyone .. so overall, prices paid might be realistic .. 8-)

www.farmclearingsales.com.au/ (scroll down to .. "GERALKA via CLARE", and click on "Day 1 Sale", or "Day 2 Sale" .. when the new page opens, there's a list-type description, with a "View Photos" button, in the centre of the page ..

P.S. There's even a beautiful British Bedford radiator in there, for Dave and his accolytes .. ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 3 months ago #20229 by Swishy

Juan Trak
GuddayM8

Good Call

Hope Ozfamin dont C the Auction

Az ewe no
n eye no

He buys all stuff red n rusted, stufd n rooted

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 3 months ago #20230 by atkipete
Well you would be the only one at Sandown with a 1917 Renard Road Train.

• Topic Author
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #20231 by
There's figures being bandied about, of the Renard bringing $700,000. I would be greatly surprised if it brought much more than $50,000 or $60,000. However, you never know with auctions .. all you need is two people who each want the item desperately .. and they often lose sight of values as the competitive urge kicks in.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20232 by mammoth
Overseas museums would be ready to pay a motza, but would need to get an export licence. After Australian customs forced a UK buyer to return a traction engine at his expense (lots$$$) everyone knows they mean business. On the weekend before this sale there in equally big sale at Toowoomba -www.elderstoowoomba.com.au- click on clearing sales. Again, something for everyone.

• Topic Author
14 years 3 months ago #20233 by
wonder if they take a phone bidder on the Bedford gille???. Dave

• Topic Author
14 years 3 months ago #20234 by
You'll find that all auctioneers will take additional bids, besides the ones on the day, in the form of "prior bid" or "auctioneer" bid .. as well as phone bids when the actual item is being sold.

The idea with "prior" or "auctioneer" bids is that you leave a bid offer with the auctioneer, before the sale starts.
Say you offer $300 for the radiator. The auctioneer will note it as a firm and genuine bid, and he will commence the bidding at that figure, by saying something like .. "Here we have Item 1557 - a restored British Bedford radiator. I have a bid of $300. Any advance on $300?"..

At this point, bidders in the crowd will be a little stunned and considering whether to bid it up more. Sometimes there will be no more bids .. and the item will be knocked down to the the prior bidder .. and sometimes there will be bidders in the crowd, who reckon it's worth a lot more .. and the bidding will start at $300, and go up from there.

Prior bids are generally low, and for items where the bidder thinks there will be low demand .. or he might just put in a modest bid, hoping to score it.

Regarding phone bids, the problem is trying to determine when the item is actually being put up for bid. Most auctioneers know reasonably accurately, how many items an hour they can get through .. but sometimes, they can fall well behind, too.

Thus, you could be calling them a dozen times, trying to get an idea as to when the item is actually being put up. Usually phone bids will only be taken on sizeable items where the bidder numbers might be low, and the auctioneer is looking for extra bidders.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20235 by billy-
Its will certainlly be a big sale. The main items i can see making good $$$. Many items will be hard to put a value on like the Renard Road Train because when its the second one in the world, you cant compare to previous sales ;D. Defintley put this one in the diary.

You can also see the Elders website for a youtube video and more info - geralka.wordpress.com/

Billy

More
14 years 3 months ago #20236 by mammoth
Onetrack, the practice on the right hand side for prior bids is that the first bid is taken from the floor and from there the auctioneer (or more commonly, his offsider) bids on your behalf up to your limit. If phone bidding or leaving prior bid you will need to establish your financial credentials in advance - easy for cockies because they just say I trade with so & so stock agent but harder for city slickers.

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds