Skip to main content

Old faceshovels and draglines

More
5 years 5 months ago #196853 by Dave_64
Often see old pictures, or read something about old dragline/faceshovels which have been replaced by either electric shovels or more often the case, hydraulic shovels.
Seems like there must have been almost as many manufacturers as there were truck builders back a few years. Many (manufacturers) may have amalgamated or somehow joined forces. Quite a lot have slipped into oblivion, may find the odd one or two in a scrap yard, or even in a country park.
I recall a large Manitowoc dragline working in the Glenquarry cut (NSW) doing the overflow channel when the river was diverted, quite a substantial machine in its day.
Also an old Osgood face shovel working the sand pits on the Georges River in behind Warwick Farm racecourse, again many years ago.
From memory, it had a Fairbanks-Morse diesel, fair lump of an engine. Used to have a large upright air bottle to start it, small engine to build up the air by compressor. Had a large flywheel which had holes in it to insert a bar and wind over until compression. Think it also may have had an odd number of cylinders. Probably not all that unusual as Fairbanks-Morse built many locomotive as well as marine engines.
Suppose like a lot of old obsolete machines of this ilk, were cut up for scrap and cashed in once they had lived out their life and scrap prices were reasonable.
Probably also like a lot of old steam locomotives and paddlewheelers, outlived their usefulness and consigned to history.
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 5 months ago #196854 by Swishy
Cogz M80
brings back memmories
we use 2 cart old rope machines on a daily basis quite common way back wen but lucky to cart 2 a year now
never evr took many pix as they just ol common machines
a few i remember
Osgood, Ruston,Ruston Bycerus,NCK, CEK, NorthWest,Jaques,Lorain,Buckeye,P+H,Harman, Smith Rodley,
me haz a few pix
beamish.beamishheavyhaulage.com.au/pictures/photoe.htm
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 5 months ago #196856 by Dave_64
Swishy,
Thanks for the link, some great old pics there.
Have heard of quite a few you named, others not so well so (to me anyway).
Cheers

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #196857 by werkhorse
Dave.... I have a complete set of manuals here in the shed for Ruston Bucyrus 22RB and it's hydraulic controlled cousin the 30RB... Bloody fantastic reading ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by werkhorse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 5 months ago #196861 by BillyP
Here is some Quarry music...………………………..

…………………...Billy...…………………...

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Southbound

More
5 years 5 months ago #196888 by JOHN.K.
I wouldnt mind a faceshovel for my Harman...........the collectors would go potty over it............but realistically,if it weighs 20 ton,and scrap is $300 a ton.....that a lot more than any collector is willing to pay.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 5 months ago #196896 by Swishy
me did sum pixel manippleation sum time ago of a 22RB dragline

22RB on the move

[img

Clikity ...... ClikClikClik

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH