Skip to main content

Can anyone identify this vehicle?

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199195 by Tank
I have been trying to identify this vehicle without success. Picture was taken in the very early 1950's (in Victoria) but the vehicle looks as though it may have been around for a while.
Can anyone solve this mystery?

Inter Atkinson 4870 as is&&Inter C1840 restored&&Inter AB160 Tipper&&Inter C
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199196 by Swishy
WAG

Wot about a boat tail Austin 7 ??

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199200 by wee-allis
I think you are right Swishy, but could also be Morris Minor.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #199201 by Tank
Thanks for the input. I felt it must have been an Austin as my father bought an Austin A40 Devon and this tourer/roadster was his brothers car. I did some more research today and it is an Australian coachbuilt version called the "Latrobe Standard Sports"

From 1924-34, rolling chassis of Austin 7s were sent to Australia where Holden Motor Body Works added local custom built tourer and roadster bodies. Australia followed the trend in England to build sports versions of the Austin 7, in 1929, Flood Motor Body Works of St Kilda Rd, Melbourne built the Ace Standard Sports and Latrobe Motors of Latrobe St, Melbourne built the Latrobe Standard Sports. This Ace Sports was built by Flood. They had an all aluminium body with cycle guards. Other Australian coachbuilders included, Lonzar and Robinson, who along with Flood produced the Austin 7 'Meteor', also the 'Comet' by Connelley, the 'Moth' by Sykes and the 'Wasp' by Green.

Holden got started doing these coachbuilds. I often think the first Holden resembled the Austin A40 a little. How Interesting.

Inter Atkinson 4870 as is&&Inter C1840 restored&&Inter AB160 Tipper&&Inter C
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, eerfree

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199207 by Roderick Smith
I went for Austin 7 even before reading other replies.
My two photos of one in Napier NZ have the rear obscured.
This one from the web doesn't necessarily show a roadster/bobtail rear.

art-deco-weekend-car-napier-hawkes-bay-nz-photo-credit-to-hawkes-bay-tourism

Roderick

Attachments:

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199209 by Morris
Virtually every body builder in Australia built bodies, mostly sporting types, on Austin Sevens. Most of them built bosies for almost all cars imported CKD (completely knocked down) in the 1920's and 30's.

The reason for importing cars without bodes was to avoid the tax on complete cars, imposed to support the local body building industry.

It is a long stretch to think that the Austin influenced the styling of the first model Holden, the 48-215. Holden started out as Holden Brothers and Frost Limited, an Adelaide based builder of horse-drawn vehicles. In the 1920's, many years before the Holden car, when motor vehicles were imported without bodies, the Holden Brothers Company built bodies for several English vehicles as well as American ones, including Dodge and the cheaper General Motors vehicles, including Chevrolet and Pontiac but probably not for their up-market brands, Cadillac and La Salle. General Motors bought the Company so as to have a body manufacturing facility in Australia.

The first Holden model was a styling exercise built for Pontiac in Dearborn Michigan but rejected by senior management. Sir Lawrence Hartnett, then Managing Director of General Motors Australia, saw the full-sized mockup on a visit to Head Office. He considered it suitable for an Australian car and convinced GM executives. The first three Holden cars made were actually built in America as prototypes for Australian production.
All this information is from books on General Motors and autobiographies by Sir Lawrence Hartnett and S.A. (Sam) Cheney.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #199211 by JOHN.K.
A question for the Holden experts.......why didnt the first Holden motors have blue flame heads?.....the other GM cars did..........even Toyota copied the blue flame head.

...This discussion now has its own thread, www.hcvc.com.au/forum/oldjunk/17932-why-...e-flame-heads#199260
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by Gryphon.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199215 by cobbadog
We have a Club member who owns one of these Austins. Now as he ages he has a job getting in and out.

As for the blue fire heads I have no idea of why it wasn't used. Maybe GM told them not to. In my books on the history of GMH and others there is no mention of blue fire heads mentioned so I would guess it was the yanks who put a hold on it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199216 by fxs80
My late cousin Ian May founded the Austin 7 car club...

1939 D2

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199245 by Kwakatriple
There is a factory supercharged Austin 7 that looks like this which roles up at the Historic Winton race meeting every now and then. It is not quick by most standards but it blows away the other Austin 7s

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds