Skip to main content

Inertia and other Starters

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #199163 by cobbadog
Yes, that is the ones I have seen but have not seen of an inertia starter on a lawn mower as yet.

This thread has been split from , www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/17912-194...l-crane-truck#199162 ...terry

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by Gryphon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 1 month ago #199164 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Inertia and other Starters
Cobbadog
gudday m8
RE: inertia starter on a lawn mower
May B thinkn of the wind up spring then trip the doolacky to start

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199166 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Inertia and other Starters
Swishy

Cobba is right, no inertia starter on mowers just spring loaded. But everybody calls them inertia starters. I will have to call my old science teacher but something in the back of my mind recalls a spring has stored inertia so maybe you are right also?

Lang

Here is a spring Inertia starter for diesel engines.
www.springstarter.com/
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199168 by Southbound

cobbadog wrote: I have seen rope starters, recoil, crank handle driving a chain directly to the engine and impact starters (wind up a spring and push down on the handle) but not an inertia starter on a mower. What one had inertia?

My favorite weird starting system is the Starter Generator type used on stationary engines. The starter motor drive is by V belt and switches to a generator after the engine is going.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 1 month ago #199169 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Inertia and other Starters
Old DKW cars used a a Dynastarter as did quite a few small capacity marine diesels.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199170 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Inertia and other Starters
Nearly all jet and turboprop engines have the starter/dynamo system.

Starters were first installed by Cadillac on production models in 1912, with the same system being adopted by Lanchester later that year. These starters also worked as generators once the engine was running, a concept that is now being revived in hybrid vehicles.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199171 by wee-allis
Dodge had starter generators in the early '20s. An old mate had one adapted on his 1010 Talbot.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #199177 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Inertia and other Starters
A lot of motor vehicle manufacturers, both in USA and Britain/Europe used starter/generators in the 1920's. They worked well and many are still in use in restored, or reasonably well maintained vehicles now.

The miniature railway setup in Eltham, Victoria uses 1920's Dodge starter/generators to power their passenger carrying trains on their about five-and-a-half inch or seven inch (I am not sure of the gauge) now. The locomotives are built to look superficially like old steam or diesel engines.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #199178 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Inertia and other Starters
Cheers Swishy but 'ims not an inertia starter but a simple spring job.

We have a few vintage staionary engines and fortunately all crank up nicely. I have seen a few small starter motors off boats and mowers along with generators converted to be belt or friction drive to start engines. I friend of ours is now at the stage that he can not crank his engines to start so he uses the generator. One of his own club members went crook at him for using it as that person deemed it too dangerous to use in an engine compound due to the sparks at the brushes, which by tyhe way could not be seen and so was a fire hazard. Never heard of such B/S in my lifeso he packed his gear up and left the show.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199181 by wee-allis
Here you go. By definition Inertia is the ability of an object to stay in a state of motion or motionless, where Kinetic energy is the ability of an object to store energy, so technically, the Federal starter is a kinetic starter. How is that for tearing the lid of the can.
My last apprentice was know as "Chronic Inertia". He had a complete Resistance to movement.

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds