Skip to main content

Southbound's Pix

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #205520 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Southbound's Pix

Morris wrote: These are fine if you like that sort of thing but why leave the badges on it and pretend it is still what it used to be? Why not call it by your name, a John Doe, a Wankmobile or whatever?

Restorers try to restore things back to original, if they need it, so the sticker about saving from the restorers is just trying to get back to restorers saying "another one saved from the hot rodders, street rodders, rat rodders, scrap dealers" etc.

They own the vehicle, Morris, they can do whatever they like with it.
Sometimes original or concourse is not possible or practical, the original components may not be available or suitable for a daily driver. Image driving a '48 MM through any capital city, to work and back, daily.
Others might be trying to replicate their first car which they bought second hand and ten or fifteen years old, incorporating the period modifications, or unaffordable, desired modifications from their youth.
Whatever the reason, it's better than seeing them sent back to us with Great Wall(y) badges.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by V8Ian.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205532 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Southbound's Pix
Yes, V8Ian,
They can certainly do what they like with it but that does not include putting it where I have to see it!

Nobody has commuted through big city traffic in an MM Minor in the past 50 or more years. They may well own one but do their daily drive in a more modern car.

My dislike of modified vehicles probably started many years ago at a vehicle event, when a hot rod drove in. There were very shallow scoops, for lack of a better word, across the grass to mark parking lines. These "trenches" were no more than two inches deep. Hotrod harry drove straight across one and made a terrible crunching sound as his road-hugging fibreglass front apron hit the grass and broke off. Several onlookers cheered!
I later had a closer look and found that it had a Chevrolet V8 and gearbox, a hotrod shop box section chassis, Jaguar rear axle, speed shop instruments and the radiator sides and top plus badge off a Model A Ford, over a modern radiator. It had no bonnet (hood, to you Brocky45) or roof. The owner had a sign on it proclaiming it as a Ford, whereas the only Ford part was the badge and possibly the part radiator surround. If he had called it a "Fred Nurk" or whatever his name was, it would be OK but it was NOT a Ford.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 3 months ago #205542 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Southbound's Pix
My two bobs worth.
Read with some amusement some of the comments re this topic, as well as the 24 million dollar Peterbilt.
Seems to me, it is in the eye of the beholder, like something on the radio or the idiot box (TV). If it gives you the shitz, don't watch (or read/listen to it!).
I personally don't care what people post up here as long as I feel it's relevant, if it's not, I simply don't bother following the particular post. But as far as "mongrelizing" some vehicle much to someones chargrin, I seem to remember not all that long ago here on this forum, how we praised some of the ingeneous vehicles cobbled together to fulfil a specific purpose (OK,OK, it WAS in an era when it was the only way to get something built, out of spares etc).
So, where is the cut-off point??
Is the rivet counter who restores every last nut and bolt any more dedicated than the bloke who painstakingly adjusts, modifies, his /her hot rodded machine? I can see value in both. But then again, I wouldn't cross the street to see drag races of any kind, bike, car, truck or rickshaw!
Bottom line I reckon, is it's up to the individual. If it doesn't interest me, won't look at it. Quite simple and works for me.
But I try my best not to bag anyone who feels differently.
Dave

More
4 years 3 months ago #205543 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Southbound's Pix
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobsboy, craig308, Dave_64, ralph

More
4 years 3 months ago #205546 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Southbound's Pix
Overnite who holds the rights to that? Would not be bad on the back of the Ford
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 3 months ago #205553 by overnite

Blackduck59 wrote: Overnite who holds the rights to that? Would not be bad on the back of the Ford
Cheers Steve

Steve
I have no idea, I saw it on the back window of a beautiful fenderless 34 Ford rod many years ago and took a photo of it because I thought how appropriate it was. Glad you liked it.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205577 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Southbound's Pix
I don't care what someone builds. The only time my blood boils is when I find out someone bought a complete, clean original vintage car / truck / whatever and chops it up to make another generic rod (rat, or not). I prefer those to be preserved, or restored.
If someone made a rod out of a bare chassis and cab / body (often all you find of a 20's - 30's vehicle) then it was probably the best thing that could have happened to it. I won't bother looking much at it because it's not my thing, but glad to see something useful done with it.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Southbound

More
4 years 3 months ago #205583 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Southbound's Pix
Overnite, Ok may get a mate to look at printing one or two.
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 3 months ago #205585 by overnite

Blackduck59 wrote: Overnite, Ok may get a mate to look at printing one or two.
Cheers Steve

Steve, if you do I’d be happy to purchase 2 please.
Cheers
Danny

More
4 years 3 months ago #205588 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Southbound's Pix
You can Buy them (in a couple of variations) as Stickers on Ebay..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds