Skip to main content

Windmills

More
4 years 10 months ago #200499 by Bluey60
Windmills was created by Bluey60
Hi Sarge
Haven’t had the pleasure of working ona eureka mill in fact haven’t seen one in the flesh
We’re in Southern Cross country with a fair few Meters/Yellow tail some old IBC’s and the odd Comet
What sort of bearings does your Eureka have the IBC mills had ball bearings and if they had of had a decent turntable they would have been a good mill but they had steel balls running in a cast race and with age the balls bedded themselves into the cast and it took a gale force wind to turn the head to face the wind
If you want to fit a spring on the shaft work out which way your shaft turns and make sure you get the right pitch left/right so it takes the oil out to the bearing and doesn’t bring it back in
Cheers Bluey

I’ll post some photos of some of the mills I’ve worked on erected when I can get one of the kids to retrieve them from the old nearly dead laptop
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200515 by cliffo
Replied by cliffo on topic Windmills
Have had Comet windmills with about 30 foot wheels and they had wooden bearings which lasted forever as long as the little reservoir with wick to drip oil onto shaft was not let run dry. In the dump from years gone by was a two and a half inch shaft which was worn down to about half thickness where the bearing was run without oil yet the wooden bearing had very little wear. I do not know what the timber was but it sure was tough

More
4 years 10 months ago #200525 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Windmills
Hickory maybe?
Sometimes the old ways were a brilliant idea and worked better than any new upgraded thought of using ball bearings. Keep it oiled and all is "well".

Pun intended!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200528 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Windmills

cliffo wrote: I do not know what the timber was but it sure was tough

I think they used Iron Bark.. But happy to be corrected.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 10 months ago #200529 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Windmills
Dad used to tell the story of the uncles Fedral truck the slides the helper springs worked on chewed out in no time so uncle bolted a piece of ironbark on each one and it never marked it dad said they jacked it up once and it was just highly polished

More
4 years 10 months ago #200530 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Windmills
A lot of the old sawmills years ago ran on wooden bearings, which lasted for years. Also the Straw walker bearings in most headers were wood, and they lasted for years.
Kav

More
4 years 10 months ago #200539 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Windmills
Does not look like the bearings are timber but the windmill is timber.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #200541 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Windmills
Bluey, my eureka only has roller bearing on the outboard end of the shaft, the other end inside the head has a long brass sleeve/bush if I remember right. The Conrod ends are plain metal to metal the ends have worn but not yoked the holes in the big gear. I think the luttle gears are plain metal in the bottom of the sump too. Poor old thing needs tipping over and fan repaired, I did it four years ago but a bolt holding a section of the wheel let go or came undone in a storm and half the fan has smashed itself to bits on the tower. Fixable, easily, just gotta have time to tip it over.

6 foot fan 30 foot tower and about a 4 inch stroke.
Obviously photos should follow.
Melbourne people may remember the company Robins and Grieve. Corner of flemington & racecourse roads until not too long ago. They made eureka mills.

I should also add that this mill has a straw oil pump with a ball valve that floods the top of the pump shaft and it's guides,and of course leaks out every where, over time. The rest of the workings are in or partly in the oil bath.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Sarge.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200550 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Windmills
Leaks oil out everywhere
Customers used to ask if I had checked the oil in the mill I’d reply there must be oil in it it’s still running down the tower
Some blokes don’t have much of a sense of humour
Bluey

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #200584 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Windmills
Photo of the offending busted fan, I hand made the blades about 4 years ago, but lost access to the machine that puts that little stiffening roll along near the edge. might have to pay for 4 newbys.

just gotta get her down.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds