Skip to main content

Snow groomers

More
4 years 10 months ago #200709 by Roderick Smith
Snow groomers was created by Roderick Smith
We have had oversnow transport in a wotzit thread.
Snow groomers are an important part of alpine skiing.
They smooth out bumps, cover thin spots, and break up the surface at the end of a skiing day, so that the slope is skiable next morning and isn't sheet ice.
A steep ski slope averages 23 degrees, but they tend not to be groomed. They work safely on slopes which look to be that steep, but aren't. On one occasion when a lift failed on the far side of Mt Buller, one of these towed 20 skiers at a time on towlines back to the main side of the mountain.

See also: australianalpinoversnow.blogspot.com/201...rerpisten-bully.html [we have had a thread on Kassbohrer Setra buses before]

190510 Melbourne Express - Mt Buller snow.

Roderick

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #200868 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Snow groomers
I worked on mt buller as a young bloke, ill have a look if ive got any photos.
I was earmarked to operate these in the winter of 1986, but nobody told me, so I quit and went driving trucks!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
4 years 9 months ago #200871 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Snow groomers
Just moved to Stanthorpe after 30 years in Caboolture to learn how to make wine.
Had a minus 7 last week, they say probably get a bit of snow on Tuesday.
Questioning my decision ? You betcha.

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds