Skip to main content

ready for wet sand blasting

More
4 years 9 months ago #201213 by cobbadog
Latest report is all the wheel wells have now been cleaned up and coated using Rust Guard Epoxy Enamel to help with further rust prevention. Colour wont be sprayed on the outside until the weather change coming through has passed. So now I have gone back to my younger days and playing 'Plastic Surgeon" filling up the areas in the tin ware that cannot be reached by hammer and dolly so in goes some body filler. One mud guard didn't appear to be so bad until I started on it and it is amazing how far back the damage went. So I will continue along with the repairs until it is up to scratch again.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, Southbound, SWR

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201385 by cobbadog
Hopefull to be able to apply some colour this weekend as it says it will be warming up from what it is at the moment. Will start with the wheels back side first then the front side when I can as I have no way of standing them up safely and be able to rotate them around so I can spray into the hard to get at parts where the naive plate bolts to the "U" shaped mounting mounting brackets. Then the skid can get some colour as well and see how it goes for some small accessories.
I sit here now listening to light steady rain which can PEE OFF soon.
Taking the radiator up to Port Macquarie tomorrow and leave it with a guy who is just about the only bloke around these parts that still can and will do repairs and cleaning of radiators that have the tanks soldered on. Many other places shudder when you mention it has the tanks soldered in place. The poor unskilled boys who can only crimp plastic tanks onto rubbish cores, I feel sorry for them and theya re now looked at as qualified tradesman. :blink:

More
4 years 9 months ago #201386 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Cobba,
I feel your pain about rain and loss of tradesmen.

Most "Panelbeaters" these days only know how to open a tin of bog and how to bolt new panels on. Years ago, I watched a real tradesman turn a flat sheet of steel into a complete front mudguard for a 1920's Rolls Royce, at a show put on by the Vintage Drivers Club at Melbourne showgrounds. He was in his 70's then and has since passed away, as have most of the old time Tradesman.
:angry:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWR

More
4 years 9 months ago #201401 by cobbadog
I watched a mates Dad repair his Cortina that had been side swiped. He actually panel beated the lot out and a metal file finish and only using the absolute smallest amount of bog, about 3 cup fulls. I found out that he was obviously a panel beater and he worked on top end hire car fleet and all black cars. He said not to tell anyone that he used that much bog! :S :blink: :ohmy:

More
4 years 9 months ago #201403 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic ready for wet sand blasting
My brother has twice got new radiators for his David Brown from England.......his first newie got eaten by chromate ....a little know effect of the banning of the green chromate/inhibitor that was once standard in US trucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago #201423 by cobbadog
Hi John, I got a quick lesson on just that topic when I dropped the radiator off. He recommends using some graphite product which I am happy to go with when I pick it up. I can buy the more common David Brown radiators here in Oz but not for our model they have a large top tank and are a thermo-syphon system but there is a water pump as well just not under so much pressure as they have a screw on cap.
Prognosis was good when I left the radiator there as he was fairly confident that a good clean out under light pressure and using low pressure air will shift what is inside. So now it is a waiting game for that but it is not holding any progress up as the spraying has to be done yet and all going well some will get done tomorrow if not onSunday.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201436 by cobbadog
Well yesterday was drizzle all morning then late afternoon sunshine but too late to start spraying. Today was just perfect weather for the spraying to start. So I warmed up the compressor, blew everything off and started mixing and spraying. I got the tractor skid done although in the pic there are some places still waiting to get covered. Even now all I see is RED so late today I had another look about and found a couple of small spots I missed so they can be touched up later. I started with painting the rims as I want them to harden up properly before getting the tyres fitted back on and then back onto the skid. I am pleased with the colour and the way it went on but I ended up using slightly less thinners than suggested as it was a bit too thin and runny.
Progress at last !

Attachments:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 9 months ago #201437 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic ready for wet sand blasting
l@@kn good

If it aint RED leave it in the shed

LOL

Not enuff thinners can take week/s to dry

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago #201446 by cobbadog
Well the news on the radiator was not good. Mud was holding the thing together so a new core has to be done and at a scarey price so I bit the bullet and told him to get it done. The paint is drying off nicely thanks Swishy so by the time we come back from a short stay in Shitme I should be able to get some more done on the tinware and other items that need painting RED.

So to make me feel better I put his face together and I am happy with this!

Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #201447 by Southbound
Looks fantastic CD. When you start painting it looks like something is getting done!

A while ago on this forum someone (SloSpeed?) had their radiator cleaned out but after getting it running the scale from inside the engine block freed up and re blocked the radiator, a few times! :( It was suggested that pantyhose over the radiator pipes is an effective filter for this problem. I bought 2 tea strainers, used them on my little Inter and have cleaned mud out twice now. :)

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, lower yp sth aust, cobbadog, SWR

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds