You are selling yourself short about your supposed lack of attention to detail and non-steady hand. I would be very happy if I could turn out work as good as yours!
I don't know anything about Brown Davids but those taillights look like they are made to go there.
I did read long ago, when the Aston Martin sports car Company was going bad, Mr. David Brown bought it and promptly sold off the unused land in front of the factory for more than he paid for land, buildings, plant, stock and goodwill! It is nice to win one for a change!
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,
Thank you Morris for your very kind words on my restoration.
Yes Aston Martin models come with the prefix DB (David Brown ) for that very reason. Some time back when the devil was sitting on my shoulder and possibly with a refreshment or two under the belt I bought a pair of Aston Martine decals and at the time I was going to stick at least one on the bonnet somewhere and across the front above the grille was going to be the place. Now I'm not so sure, but one just might a spot on the tool box behind the seat if there is room.
So the really good news is that it is all back together, did a brake test on the gravel driveway and made some minor adjustments to balnac ethem up. With the new linings and no oil these brakes can lock up so I will need to be careful when driving. So we went for a drive from home using our 'H; plate log book and did a test run and went to the local pub at Coopernooky. I took a photo roughly in the same spot as one I took many years ago when we first got David but me being me I will go back and do it again so I can get the same shot. Dee and I had the biggest smiles driving David again on the road and he went quite well and the only issue we had was bloody fuel. I still have not been able to get all the rust out of the tanks. He has a divided tank as he is a TVO tractor and both have rust or sediment in the bottom and it almost impossibleto get it out. There is a fixed tube that runs from the filler cap to about 3/4 of the way down inside the tank so turning it arse up does nothing. SO between now and next Thursday I will try another approach and drain the tank again and make an air blower vacuum set up and see how I go by pushing compressed air into a tube and sucking up what ever it will reach.
Will post some pics tomorrow.
With old motorbikes,I have found the best way to clean tanks is to shake them out with clean angular gravel,or a few handfulls of sharp edged square nuts,large screws,etc.........to get rust out of seams,small nails or tacks are good.........shake well with water in the tank,running hose is good..........this will get the rustiest tank clean inside......its not hard to remove the gravel,screws etc ,afterwards.
Thanks hayseed, that type of product is on the list of solving this problem just need a bigger kit to suit the size of the tanks.
As for using the gravel, that does work a treat but anything you drop down these tanks stays inside forever. The Pommies weld in a filler tube that protrudes about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down so nothing can be shook out when the tank us arse up.
I have drained the tank this afternoon and letting it air out overnight and sometime tomorrow will have a go at the vaccuum set up and see how that goes. In the mean time I have rolled up some stainless steel termimesh and stuck it into the short fuel lines that attach to the tank and they stick up inside and this is working but I don't want it to be the long term solution.
Here he is on the front lawn and down at the pub next to the old Lansdowne River bridge, or what is left of it. The steel girders is all that is left of the old bridge now. If you look closely there are a lot of bits of timber missing on the deck of the carry all. This has now been replaced with all new hardwood,.