Skip to main content

Lightburn Bumper Jack

More
4 years 8 months ago #202454 by werkhorse
Just picked up this 1970s??? Lightburn hydraulic bumper/highlift jack.... Gunna use it as an adjustable leg on the side of my Ute for when I'm using my crane. I'll just make a slot in the tray side fir it to fit into then jack it up.
Dies anyone know the capacity of these things? I'm hoping it's around 2 ton or so.

Cheers

Werk

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202455 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Lightburn Bumper Jack
Also would anyone know what went in the hole of the base plate?
The end of the jack is too big to fit the centre hole... So I guess there was some sort of block with larger hole to fit the jack end

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #202458 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lightburn Bumper Jack
It's odd to think that you would need an adaptor to fit the pole section into the base but if that is what is required knock one up.
The best guess for load capacity would be to compare a similar size hydraulic bottle jack to what you have. You would think it would lift at least 1.5-2.0 ton.
Perfect accessories for what you intend to use it for, great find.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: werkhorse

More
4 years 8 months ago #202460 by werkhorse
I was thinking there was a block of some sort to allow some wiggle of the baseplate on uneven ground.... But yeah my plan is to knock something up to fit it

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #202461 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Lightburn Bumper Jack
If that's for a Zeta Lightburn car then they were a pretty lightweight vehicle methinks (sort of remembering seeing one in a showroom, Elizabeth st Melbourne late 60s?)
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by allan.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202462 by werkhorse
Na it's not for one of them.... Managed to find this in google... But no weigh rating...

Lightburn hydraulic jack

It has a screw out component as well as the hydraulic lift.

The Museum, Victoria have a pamphlet from
The company states on the cover: " There's a reliable LIGHTBURN HYDRAULIC JACK for every vehicle! 15 MODELS TO CHOOSE FROM"
A search on Free Patents Online (FPO) reveals that a US patent was granted for this jack in 1949.
United States Patent 2,466,815 for: This invention relates to improvements in hydraulic jacks, and in particular it relates to improvements in the housing of jacks and to the control mechanism whereby the jack is actuated.
The patent was applied for in 1944 in Australia and in 1945 in the US, and granted in 1949 in the US, to Harold Anderton Lightburn of Henley Beach, South Australia.
We are continuing our research into the timelines of this company - any info is welcomed.
Lightburn has another patent for a bumper jack in 1974.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202463 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Lightburn Bumper Jack
We had one that came new with the car, pretty sure it was the 1948 Ford. The Jack Murray round Australia model.
David.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #202464 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lightburn Bumper Jack
From what I can see it looks like there was a block or ferrule in the base to support the jack leg.

Lightburn Jacks

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202465 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lightburn Bumper Jack
The 8 ton Lightburn was the standard truck jack for many years....most got wrecked by being left out in the rain.........I dunno how many Ive had ......when the oil come out instead of pumping up,thats it...........I used to have dozens of the bumper jacks too......probably still find a couple........IMHO,your base is wrong ,for a car wallaby jack.......the hi lifts had a round socket in the base ,with a setscrew.,and fitted the rod.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202466 by murray2230
Replied by murray2230 on topic Lightburn Bumper Jack

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds