More
4 years 3 months ago #204941 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
Wow, that’s a 25% increase in top speed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #204942 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller

allan wrote: Love the streamlining of the guards and bonnet. That'd be good for an extra 1 mph!

I think you will find the rounded corners are for improving visibility and not wind reduction. :)

Terry

More
4 years 3 months ago #204949 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
Terry

I think it is a pure sales idea. What possible reason is there to put tin-work on a roller other than looks. It must have made it very difficult to do precise work eg rolling bitumen up to a concrete kerb without breaking the concrete. Surely the old bare frame style was so much better for visibility. Of course nearly all rollers today have gone back to open frames, maybe with a simple aircon glass box on top for the operator.

Lang

More
4 years 3 months ago #204966 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
It was Allen Bros at Bass Hill that I worked for when I was involved with this part of earth moving. That big old roller was no where to be seen when I was there but it would not have been out of place as all the other stuff they had was from the same era, except one Acco tipper 10 ton and a Toyota prime mover to haul the emulsion tanker.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205162 by Roderick Smith
I did some homework. Asphalt and bitumen as terms are interchangeable, but the usage varies from UK to USA to Australia.
Asphalt, Bitumen & Spray Seal
Asphalt, bitumen and spray seal – are they all the same thing, or do they have different properties and applications?
Hot-Mix Asphalt
Generally the terms asphalt and bitumen are interchangeable when it comes to using them to describe a surface sealant; however, asphalt (or hot-mix as it is commonly referred to in this context) is made up of sand and stone aggregates, bound together by bitumen. The hot-mix is laid on a prepared base, which provides a stable foundation for the pavement.
Once laid, the hot-mix provides a smooth, flexible and durable finish which is ideal for road surfaces , driveways, car parks and other areas which may encounter a high volume of traffic, or drag caused by turning wheels.
Spray Seal
Unlike hot-mix, spray seal is formed by applying a spray coat of bitumen over a prepared base then laying an even spread of aggregate on top. Spray seal can be applied in a single or double coat.
It’s important that the base for the spray seal is well-prepared, since it’s thinner than hot-mix and will closely follow the shape of the base. While this means it’s not quite as strong as hot-mix, spray seal is still flexible, attractive and water-proof.
As a more affordable alternative, spray seal is ideal for paving large areas where high traffic volumes are not an issue, such as rural driveways, private roads, and footpaths. We would not advise spray seal for industrial purposes.
aaaasphalt.com.au/about/materials-used/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphalt
Today, two crops from a photo showing work in Glenferrie Rd, Malvern. M&MTB was relaying the entry into Malvern Depot, with a more-efficient and safer layout. In that era, it ran its own trackwork team and equipment. Now everything is contracted out.
690907Su-09b-Malvern-MMTB-machine-RSmith-sss.jpg. I can't read the name. It doesn't look like 'CATERPILLAR', but does seem to go 'AA.....NN'. Others here may now a likely maker.
690907Su-09c-Malvern-MMTBmachines-RSmith-ss.jpg. From memory, this roller is a Jelbart (built in Ballarat), and was the only one which M&MTB had. It has been preserved, in the care of one of the tourist-tramway groups, and can still be used.
See also: bih.federation.edu.au/index.php/Jelbart_Brothers%27_Foundry
Roderick

Attachments:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #205164 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
top pic looks like a International Hough PayLoader
the 2nd pic is a Macdonald 3 point roller

RE: Asphalt

Dont get u're mix rong
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Swishy.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #205172 by cobbadog
When I was laying asphalt it was called hot mix and sealed roads were emulsion sprayed on the road base then a layer of blue metal on top and then repeated. At least this is what it was in Sydney in the late 1970's early 1980's.

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by cobbadog.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205174 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller

cobbadog wrote: When I was laying asphalt it was called hot mix and sealed roads were emulsion sprayed on the road base then a layer of blue metal on top and then repeated.

Emulsion is different again, it is bitumen emulsified in water with additives and applied from ambient to around 90 C. Bitumen spray seal is bitumen sprayed hot at around 175C (sometimes with a solvent cutter added) and topped with aggregate.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
4 years 3 months ago #205200 by cobbadog
Thats what they prayed before nlaying the gravel. In general they called it emulsion but may well have been bitumen. It also maybe what different states call the same thing as well.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205204 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
When I was a kid we called it "TAR " LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds