Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 15 Mar 2020 22:07 #207482

• cobbadog
  • cobbadog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1543
The three holes closest to the centre are for a 4" flat belt pulley to bolt onto and there is a small step to centralise the pulley.
The outter bolt holes I am not sure of but maybe for a free wheeling pulley which once the engine is running can then be engaged to drive what ever was to be driven. I mention this because in the booklet it mentions a free wheeling pulley.
I will have a go at heating the flywheel up and drive it on further. Failing that I will try using my puller to bring it outwards and see if anything moves.
Welding a bolt to the key is also an option but will have to buy a sliding hammer to give it what for.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 16 Mar 2020 10:27 #207489

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 929
Cobbadog,
Make your own slide hammer with a couple of feet of rod with a solid stop at one end and a threaded collar at the other end to screw onto the bolt you weld to the key. Before you screw it on, slide a heavy but comfortable-in-your-hand weight on to the road and "slide like crazy"
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 16 Mar 2020 22:40 #207530

• cobbadog
The slight problem with the slide hammer is the small amount of metal left to weld to which has half of a 1/4" diamter hole its full length and the reat is level with the solid flywheel.
While working on another bit of the engine this afternoon I keep thinking of the best and next approach. AS ther eis no time limit to have this done, yet, I will sneek up on it a bit at a time then flog the shit out of it.

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 17 Mar 2020 10:22 #207540

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 474
Cobba,

Have you thought about laying a bolt along the remaining key and welding it on.

This would give a fairly large weld area and the aforementioned copper pipe would protect the crank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 17 Mar 2020 19:02 #207545

• Bluey60
  • Thank you received: 199
Cobba if you have a die grinder I have used a long shanked I’d say it’s about quarter inch diameter to cut the remains of broken studs out when all else fails
You might be able to get enough of the key out to weaken it it is fairly easy to be fairly accurate if you take it easy

Cheers Bluey

Last edit: by Bluey60.

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 17 Mar 2020 21:49 #207551

• cobbadog
I probably wont get back to this until the weekend as work has gone off the scale for some reason. The more I think of what I can do and how the more I am leaning towards welding a bolt to the keyway and try using the slide hammer. I think the sudden increase in heat onto the key will help matters as well and with a bit of warmth on the flywheel with the LPG torch just may do the trick. If not I will be able to cut off the bolt and have a go at digging the broken drill bits out somehow. I don't have a die grinder as such but I do have a small etching tool that a small die gringer could be fitted into as it has a 3 jaw chuck to do so. Time will tell on this mongrel.

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 18 Mar 2020 06:48 #207557

• Rattail 1927
  • I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired!
  • Thank you received: 66
Hi cobba I’m not going to give advice, simply because I have never seen one except at a show, if you’re chasing a booket or manual check out Ebay, I’m sure you would have but I managed to get 5 different books for my Acco which I never would have got otherwise, good luck mate hope you get it going!

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 18 Mar 2020 22:27 #207572

• cobbadog
I will do just that, thank you but from an engine forum no one has seen a manual on these buggas. The booklet I have does have some good and critical adjustments and tells you how to set up and adjust the Hvid/Brons system and vallve clearance and most importantly the injector which is a reall eye opener to how it works. However all those things are way down the track. It wont be until I really get into the stripping down that some of the parts which I think I have identified as to what they are even possibly where they go. At the end of the day it is a 4 stroke diesel engine, what can go wrong? :woohoo:

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 19 Mar 2020 17:30 #207591

• bparo
  • Thank you received: 327
I got a reprinted manual from Plough Book Sales in Geelong but gave it to the buyer of my McDonald SE when I sold it about 2 years ago. They may still have some.
He is not a physical shop but mainly sells via stalls at rallies or online. As most rallies are cancelled he may appreciate the business.
Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel 19 Mar 2020 21:56 #207598

• cobbadog
Hi bparo,
I looked on his website and only found the booklet I have which tells you how to set uo, and adjust the injector and linkages etc but not a proper workshop manual.
I will send him an email tomorrow asking if he still has some or can print off another issue. Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558