Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 11 months ago #210531 by Zuffen
Tack them together, splash some paint on them and it will look great.

Should be happy with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210533 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
AND far more satisfying than simply going out and buying something that would probably need some fettling to make it work anyway??? :oops:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210548 by Mrsmackpaul
I have made many mufflers for tractors dozers and trucks etc over the years
At first they were quite basic but over time they have really got a lot more sophisticated and so far they have all out lasted bought ones, although mine end up quite heavy

By far the most imaginative thing I made one wet season was a clutch for my boys motor bike

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210556 by cobbadog
You should tell curly to stop falling off and they wont break, but on a dirt bike aclutch is for shielas. Revs up, arse slightly off seat, hang on good and stop the box into gear n go.
Nice work on the updated version Paul.
As for my air cleaner, I don't think I could bring myself to putting paint on it, thought I have been known to change my mind. Nothing else is going to be painted so it would look add. I have to make the centre mounting bolt in a way so that a nut in the centre of the lid will pull down and tighten up and I know my first plan to do this. All of this will be soft soldered together and mounted.
I took the head into the engine shop yesterday to have it evaluated. Both sets of valves have excessive wear on the stems that they flog around in the guides. I have a lead on some new blanks but have to wait to be certain. Once the valves have been sorted he can tidy up the seats and then we need to find a way of keeping the springs in place as I have only one "U" type metal clip to hold it in place but I have a number of options in my head to resolve that issue.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by cobbadog.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210559 by Mrsmackpaul
Yeah the boy wasnt entirely to blame on that occasion, we lived on a island of sorts in NQ and him and his mates had been having fun in the water ways etc and for some reason on his return he couldn't get it started out of the ute
Told him to hook a strap up and I'll pull start him, well when he let the clutch go he promptly got chucked off the bike and busted the clutch handle

Not one of his or mine smarter moves so I made a freshie

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 11 months ago #210567 by cobbadog
Rough enough is good enough for this old engine. I made the centre mounting shaft then soldered the top onto the cylinder and this is how it ended up.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

More
3 years 11 months ago #210577 by hayseed
Looks Good Cobbadog, What are your Plans for the element??
A bit of Oil soaked Foam Like in a Briggs & Shitten. or something More substantial..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 11 months ago #210582 by cobbadog
Initially nothing was going inside as it will only run at a Rally a few times a year and make some background noise at home so not a lot of dust about. Then I thought maybe use a bit of oily foam as I do have some in the shed but then a brilliant idea was to throw some stainless steel scourers inside and a bit of mesh over the throat of the housing. Still thinking that this is it at the moment but you know how easily I can change my mind, probably from being rared with 4 sisters.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210730 by cobbadog
Initially I was going to make the fuel tank but I changed my mind and cleaned up the outside of a paint thinners tin to use as the fuel tank. I think it is about 1 litre bigger than standard so it is a long range fuel cell now. I have strengthened the bottom where the tap will go in and made up the mounting brackets to the hopper.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, oliver1950

More
3 years 10 months ago #210731 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Definitely needs to be painted with a Super Diesel Logo on it :huh:

Aren't the tanks usually mounted horizontally . . . ? (B. trouble makers every where!?) :whistle:

But I did find this one with the tank vertical . . .

Hang in there cobbadog, you know I'm behind you all the way ;)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.629 seconds