Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 10 months ago #210732 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
A little tin Chinaman's hat to drop on top of the tank would make it look the part and hide the plastic cap.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210736 by asw120
I was having similar thoughts as to the fuel tank. Thanks for showing how you did it.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 10 months ago #210741 by Zuffen
Are plastic filler caps traditional?

You need a tin cap.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210749 by cobbadog
The tank is mounted exactly as the original one was but this is a 5 litre can and not a 1 gallon. The lovely plastic cap will be painted with some silver to hide the red and is why the top of it is smooth, no Tri-Sure brand any more. I used the LPG torch to lightly burn the well stuck on SCA labell, the toughest part of any of SCA products. As for a decal I do have a black texta colour and can write on it if you like. :woohoo:
Looking back at it I think I should have used a heavier gauge metal for the mounting brackets but once tightened up it did stiffen up a bit so may be ok. I have looked at a few original tanks and they have straps soldered onto the tank as this does and then bolted to the hopper using 5/16" BSW studs and nuts.
AS you have been following this project you have noticed how often I plan one thing and do another so a decal may end up on the tank or then again may not,

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210755 by Bluey60
Hi Cobba
I’d make sure you have a little hole somewhere in the lid or you might have trouble with fuel supply the fact it’s only gravity feed it shouldn’t suck the tin in.is the tin heavy enough it won’t crack or split with the vibration
Cheers Bluey

More
3 years 10 months ago #210771 by cobbadog
Cheers Bluey, yes a hole will be drilled through the lid and the thickness of the tin is very light and was why the bands are so wide where they are soldered to the can. If it works, a genius I am, if it fails, well you know where I'm going then make another one.
Late News,
Cam gear followed me home this afternoon so some time tomorrow I will start linishing the surface. I wonder if I should make a nice big high lift lumpy cam!

More
3 years 10 months ago #210773 by Zuffen
Yeah, give it an angry idle.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210780 by asw120
You should find a nice, traditional tin cap hidden cleverly under that plastic child-proof one. It should already have a pin-hole in it. If not, you can just leave the gasket out. That's what I do with the mower tin (20l, with a tap)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 9 months ago #210830 by cobbadog
Cam gear is home and I started to linish it to shape.

Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #210883 by cobbadog
The next bit of dribble for today after work gave me just enough time to linish the cam profile but I found a couple of spots that need to be built up higher. The guy who welded this must have known as he mentioned that if I needed any part built up just bring it back, so it will go back to him next week.
Then I fitted both Speedi-Sleeves to the crankshaft. This took all of 5 minutes. I picked up a piece of exhaust pipe that was the correct ID to fit over the sleeve and a couple of light taps to get both sleeves into the correct position.
Not much play time today but at least something got done.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds