Hi,

if you want a another one to play with, khre.com.au/2020/02/03/majorplains

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 days ago #207650 by cobbadog
I wonder if the cob webs come with it.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention but already having a matching pair of headaches is enough at the moment.
That one also looks pretty complete too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 6 days ago #207657 by JOHN.K.
They call it a Reed diesel.......thats funny ,because years ago someone told me his father had a 'Read" diesel,and wanted to know if I was interested .......of course the read is Mc Donalds attempt to get farmers to read the instruction book......which I bet few ever did.......The thing was run from a big drum of sump oil mounted on a stand beside it,and apparently the lube oil for the motor was sump oil too.....Motor was rust free ,for sure ,only on the outside ,as the hopper had rusted the cylinder.

More
4 years 5 days ago #207709 by cobbadog
Been in contact with Stephen from Plough Book Sales and the only info he has ever had is this instruction booklet, but thanks for bringing it to my attention as this is how we find things out.
Well I went around to the opposite side yesterday and managed to do almost the exact same thing. Head broke off the gibb key and so far I have successfully drilled a 3/16" hole the key but not all the way through. After a lot of scratching around I actually found that the keyway in the flywheel goes all the way through but, it does not on the crankshaft. The crankshaft has a small step down in size where the back of the flywheel sits and you can only just see the groove in the shaft tapering off to nothing. This will make it impossible to try to knock the flywheel in towards the engine so that idea is now dealt with. Still waiting for the 10lb slide hammer to arrive and I have started to make an adaptor to use once it is here.
So I decided to also look at the oil strainer which didn't do too much straining like this. As rough as the soldering job looks it actually has taken to the stainless steel wire and bonded in place. At least this is done, phew.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 years 4 days ago #207735 by cobbadog
New toy arrived today to encourage the gibb keys to come out. This one is a 10lb one. Some bolts and a welder is then the next plan.

Attachments:

More
4 years 3 days ago #207755 by Oilman
I think a bit of heat will be your best friend. I never seem to get anywhere without it no matter how much force you use.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
4 years 3 days ago #207757 by JOHN.K.
I was pulling the hubs on a Cat 12 grader,long keyed taper ,but it wouldnt let go....I had a shop made adaptor of 1" thick plate,and 3/4 UNC Cat bolts into the hub ....at 80 ton on the gauge the plate was bending round the bolts,hub wouldnt move,and one of the labourers standing round started making monkey noises and jumped up on the hub...I hit the hub one hit with a small sledge ,and it flew off,flipped the idiot over ,and was very lucky no one was hurt ,the hub is like a tractor wheel weight ,and weights several Cwt......Soneone had marked the spindle all over with a cold chisel to stop the hub slipping on the spindle.......lots of force on grader wheels ,all wheels are tied together ,and slip on bitumen when the grader turns.

More
4 years 2 days ago #207771 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Plug on, enjoy your slide hammer (mine is homemade and eats fingers occasionally :ohmy: ), I'd try some heat on it at the same time - all you need is that other set of hands holding the oxy torch that you probably don't own!? ;)

More
4 years 2 hours ago #207840 by cobbadog
Spent a little bit more time on these gibb keys today. I carefully welded a HT bolt to the key, placed a pipe over the lot and a heavy flat plate and wound the nut on. I watched in a video where he used a rattle gun to also help it come loose so out with the 18v rattle gun. This is the result, the key broke away at the end of the broken drill bits and level with the flywheel hub. Tomorrow I will go back to drilling more holes below the broken drill bits and then fit a puller on and try to pull the flywheel over the key.
So I went around to the other side and welded the bolt on and set it all up along with the new big bunsen burner which sounds like a jet when opened up and applied the heat then the rattle gun. The nut stripped. So now I am making up an attachment for the slide hammer on this side, heat again and then hammer away.

Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #207849 by Blackduck59
If you can get a small pilot hole drilled alongside the broken bits you could try opening the pilot with a masonry bit. They are way tougher than your standard bit and should break up the broken bits. Just keep the bit cool (WD40 or the likes)
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.610 seconds