Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 9 months ago #210904 by cobbadog
Well I went back to the job of removing the fuel cup from the injector body. Had no luck with electrolysis only that it is super clean on the outside. So there was no way that the small grub screw would undo even using an impact socket with the screw driver bit in it so I drilled it out of the way. After reading about so many different ways to achieve what I am trying to do today I went down the road of heating and quenching. Using what Dad used to cal a size C lpg burner I started to gently heat the cup and then quench it in water. I did this a couple of times and the last time I gave it full throttle and got the cup to the dullest of cherry red and then quenched it again. Then I left it sitting in water until next time where I will once again look closer at how much I have drilled out and if any more needs to be removed then will go back to the serious heating again. All the time I have been very gently tapping the cup to see if it shows any signs of moving. This tapping is dangerous as this is how the other cup was broken off the injector body, not because of tapping it directly but by using a lever to lift the body out of the head and the slightest movement sideways breaks the cup off. In the instruction book this is made very clear and that when you remove a stubborn injector it is a case of removing the head and prising the cup up.
So this is my SpacEx clean burn launch today.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #210971 by cobbadog
Oil Primer arrived safely today from over the Qld border, past Anna and into NSW. It is stripped and under the cleaning up process, pics to come.

Thank you Jarrod.

The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
3 years 9 months ago #211241 by cobbadog
Well I stripped the oil primer and had to remove the plunger from the brass tube, clean it all up and as suggested I simply reversed the plunger so that it was back to original specifications and not with all the wear on it. I tinned the end of the brass tube and sweated it back in place without having to remove the outter casing by heating it up through the bottom where the check valve should have been. I welded the plunger back into the cap then made a new gasket to fit between the body and hopper. My brass tube was still there so I made it to the new length as it was a bit too long, tinned it and again heated the brass tube and soldered it back into the body. Some silicone and then bolted it back into place.
I did a test on the bench by putting some oil in the case with the plunger installed and sitting down. No oil came out. I started lifting the cap up and down and it started pumping oil out so it is a win. It is amazing how much oil it displaces each pump.

Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #211243 by hayseed
You're doing Good Cobbadog..
Won't be Long & you'll have some Smoke & Noise coming out of the Old Girl...!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #211247 by cobbadog
Still waiting for the ring set to come from N.Z. Found some valves that should be far better than the old ones which have badly worn stems so something that is parallel will be a big bonus, maybe not quite perfect fit but better. So I have been playing around with other toys yesterday morning then went to visit oliver1950 who donated a lovely piece of Kenworth 6" exhaust pipe which will be the new MkII fuel tank, bomb proof. Made a start on the lid today then called it quits until I can pick up some nice steel for the lid and base.

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by cobbadog.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211357 by cobbadog
Plan B for the fuel tank, one bomb proof tank.
I have the injector body hidden in the freezer where hopefully it won't be found until I get it out of there tomorrow and no one will know. It is wrapped up in a plastic bag so hopefully it is not being thawed out for tonights tucker.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

More
3 years 9 months ago #211359 by Mrsmackpaul
If you want some dished shape to give it some sexy curves track down a couple of old discs off a Connor Shea disv drill

No big holes in the end, just 5 × 1/4" holes to be welded up

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 9 months ago #211362 by cobbadog
I will go with this bomb proof design I think. Apparently if things are not exactly right in the fuel department these engines blow back up through the fuel line and can destry fuel tanks or at least send the fuel lid (not a cap) off to space. These tanks originally had a quarter turn screw on lid so I will do my version of same or similar. Will see what happens as the build progresses.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211371 by Morris
Cobbadog,
If the quarter turn is too difficult (and I would have no idea how to make one unless I had a screw-cutting lathe, and I don't know how to use one of those, either) how about a bayonet fitting similar to the ones on a light globe?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 9 months ago #211376 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Or use the neck and cap from an old radiator.

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds