Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 5 months ago #215800 by cobbadog
Hi mamoth, I did try that and made very little difference. All it did was to put simply move the position of the gears around a small amount, possibly half a tooth.
At the moment I am not worried about the injector timing just the basic timing of a 4 stroke engine. IT all goes through the steps as it shouls starting from TDC on compression then exhaust then inlet and then compression again. It is just not with the timing marks aligned. To say it is confusing is an understatement. At the moment I am not confident enough to assemble the rest and try a start up until I get my head around this. It almost makes me want to fight with the spare engine and remove the flywheel on that side and look at that set up and compare the cam gear as well. Remember I did have to build up the lobes on the cam and to do that I followed the profile of what was left behind the badly worn part.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215804 by asw120
Paul: just to confuse things, remember this is a Brons "injected" engine. The injector allows a little fuel in during the intake stroke and then auto-injects under compression.

Cobba: I see your white Nikko marks, but are there any factory marks? You may just have to time it by seat of the pants. I'm sure my exhaust opens before BDC as is usual, closing immediately after TDC. I can check tomorrow. The clearance on the rocker arm can make a huge difference to the perceived cam timing. In the absence of factory marks, I set the rocker arm clearance to get overlap (exhaust open for full stroke) and then adjust timing to get desired BBDC and ATDC setting.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 5 months ago #215814 by Mrsmackpaul
No idea what that is Jarrod
Tried Googling but got lost, sorry

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 5 months ago #215817 by asw120
Hi Paul. If you have a lazy hour to waste and you want to learn about the Brons / Hvid system, go here www.eldensengines.com
Scroll down to Homebrew Hvid engine. By the time you get to the end of it, you will have a full understanding of how it works. Sadly, the guy is no longer with us, but his work lives on.

Jarrod

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 5 months ago #215819 by Bluey60
Hi Cobba
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the timing marks not lining up on compression TDC if everything is working in the correct order and your valves are rocking at TDC it must be right
Is there a mark on one or the other flywheels that lines up with a mark on the block which gives you TDC because you normally wouldn’t be able to see the marks on the gears when the motor is assembled so you would line that mark up on compression to adjust valves ect

Cheers Bluey

More
3 years 5 months ago #215821 by JOHN.K.
The fuel is pulled into the fuel cup by suction in the cylinder,no more can go in after compression starts,so the injector valve must shut at approx BDC compression stroke....the small holes in the cap delay initial firing (hopefully) to the correct point of the compression stroke (near TDC)......The system saved Mc Donald from the precision work needed in a proper injector pump.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215823 by Mrsmackpaul
Once again remembering I dont know stuff all about bugger all

Is this how the timing marks are meant to line up ?

Does anyone know for sure ?

Even if it was lined up this way when disassembled that doesn't mean that it was lined up correctly

And also I have noticed with small volume manufacturers that not everything is as it should always be

Paul

More
3 years 5 months ago #215824 by Mrsmackpaul
Well lets line these up and see if it helps

Now Im not the brightest spark here by any stretch of the imagination but is everything still lined up right ??

I dont know, the crank key way doesnt match how it came out to my untrained eyes

Paul

Attachments:

More
3 years 5 months ago #215832 by JOHN.K.
The exhaust should begin to open at a bit before BDC,and be closed at TDC,as a low speed engine doesnt need any advance in valve timing.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215835 by hayseed

Mrsmackpaul wrote: the crank key way doesnt match how it came out to my untrained eyes

Paul

Yep, & the Grub Screw in the gear Below appears to be in a Different Spot Too.......& maybe the dowel Pin(if that's what It is)in the little gear up Top ..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.619 seconds