Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 5 months ago #215887 by Mrsmackpaul
Now your talking my language

Chuck together and have a go, worst case scenario is it doesn't run, nothing is hitting anywhere so all is safe as houses

Hopefully you just find you were over thinking things and it is spot on

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215892 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Sleep well.

We'll all be rooting for you tomorrow, er, um, supporting your activities. :blush:

More
3 years 5 months ago #215896 by Mrsmackpaul

PDU wrote: Sleep well.

We'll all be rooting for you tomorrow, er, um, supporting your activities. :blush:

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Gave me a good chuckle there

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 5 months ago #215912 by cobbadog
Gave me a chuckle too, however I rooted myself trying to start the bastard.

Well Humpty Dumpty went back together again and we tried a startup. Got close to running by puffing some blue smoke out its bum but no bang bang. Followed the start up procedure as in the book and then with some start ya bastard in the sir cleaner it did go bang bang a few times then stopped and I was not quick enough to squirt more in it.

Going by the oil pressure indicator the oil pump works - BONUS.

Had fuel running out the exhaust - BUGGA.

So I shut the fuel supply off and tried more start ya bastard and it didn't - BUGGA.

Now I have a bad shoulder and this stopped me from trying too many times but after 6 or so attempts I shut the fuel off and packed up. So now until I get the start up procedure and running correctly I am now looking for a flat leather belt and belt the bastard up to the Cropmaster tractor.

I tried starting it with the throttle backed right off, half way on and full but only got blue smoke. At least it was encouraging when it did go bang bang on either. Not sure about the over fueling and how to stop it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215913 by JOHN.K.
Lotta owners of these use a lekky motor belted to one flywheel.....you can tell by the change in smell in the exhaust if its firing......if it does start,just revs up the lekky motor ,no dramas........I had a big prewar Cat 75 once ,used to use a small motorbike on the flywheel to start it.......took about 3 minutes running over to fire fire.grey smoke ,brown smoke ,blacksmoke and away it goes.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215917 by hayseed
Cobba, most of the Blokes in the Local Engine Club have an old Starter Motor out of a Jap Car (Can't remember which though) but the Pinion is Open & not in a Nose. put a little V Belt Pullet in place of the Pinion rigged up on a Lever & a V Belt.
Sure beats Crankin' the B%$^

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 5 months ago #215918 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
3 years 5 months ago #215921 by asw120
Cobba, it has to be close. I spent a lot more time getting mine going due to my mistakes. I ended up belting mine to the little 1-1/2hp International M type to get it going, but it still wouldn't start on the crank handle until I made extra compression shims to make up for the lack of compression after the re-ring. (any more shim and piston meets valve).
You're getting more out of yours than I could that early.
I found you can flood them - clearing is much easier once you have it belted up.
It may take a couple of starts with smelling salts and go easily after that. Extra compression plates are easy to make and fit and can be taken out later after things have bedded a bit.
I reckon you've got it; I can already see the smoke :)
Also: it's perfectly acceptable to start these on kerosene.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 5 months ago #215924 by cobbadog
Thanks guys,
At the moment I dont want to go down the road of electrickery starts. I only have one other engine with a belt pulley on it but it turns at 1/4 speed of the engine as it was for a cream seperator on a Farm Pumper engine so the Cropmaster is the official belt pulley donor with its 8" pulley the McDonald has a 5" pulley.
I have been told of a few options to use as a belt as I don't have one and an old canvas fire hose is a good one as is one of the ratchet straps from Lorry stripped of all the metal work and sewn together. At least that would give me about a 2.5 mtr overall length. Another Forum user has a heap of belting and I am looking at that as well so I can have some belting here for other toys.
So I have not booked any work in for tomorrow so will have another attempt at starting up. At one time the blue smoke did come with a familiar smell of burnt diesel so it must be close.
Jarrod, I do have another shim so I ban use it as a template to make more if needed. Already the compression has lifted just by what I have done so far so hopefully tomorrow just might be the day it barks out a tune, as there is no exhaust pipe on it yet.
Jarrod, how do you know what the throttle is set at and what is the best position to start up at, just above idle or full throttle? I think the full throttle is what overfuelled it.
Luckily for me my offsider Dee has been keeping an eye on things pointing out any leaks and where they are, which to me is helpful as I fix them straight away to eliminate that problem. Another positive is that the oil pressure indicator works and simply from cranking by hand.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #215926 by Sarge
Cobba, I have done a little flat belting, I did have a proper leather one badly patched and worn, I kept it useable with bifurcated rivets. I also used a fabricated canvas looking belt on the inter auto header, and have used various long v belts on flat pulleys with some success, the trick is getting enough tension, I use an idler pulley to increase the amount of face contact aS well as tension.

Finally, honey or golden syrup, not too much, makes flat belts grip the pulleys better, i have benn told too much though can drag a face off the belt.

Looking forward to the choofa video.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds