Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 5 months ago #216049 by JOHN.K.
it will be nicley run in just from cranking....so will you.......Exact opposite the Gardner in the old crane....it lazily rolls over one cylinder,and starts at idle revs......When you get the belt setup ,itl be a goer...might even blow smoke rings,the ultimate in Mc Donald performance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216053 by cobbadog
Spent this afternoon filling up the wallets of doctors and then topped it off with an hour round with a chiropractor. Bloody sore now so tomorrow will be a misery guts full of pain killers, but all in the name of progress. She did warn this will hurt later and I didn't have to wait long.
This morning I fitted the chimney on properly. Could not believe that a plumber store would still carry 1 1/2" gal pipe fittings and what they call a 'nipple' which is all thread but with a thin nut in the centre so you put put some fetch on it to tighten it up. So now it has a stack chimney and looks the part. Will take some pics soon of this and hopefully a video of it running.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216098 by PaulFH
One on FB Market Place for $1100.
Hope you have success with the start up.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216108 by cobbadog
Going by the weight of these little buggas that is scrap value. 2 engines flattened the leaf springs on my then almost new box trailer rated at 750kgs.

Well I decided it was a fuel issue, not enough getting inside so I went back to the instruction book and then questioned myself as to how I gapped the injector arm that lifts it up. Started to alter things and then thought it best to talk to Jarrod and get some extra info. This was the best idea I had all afternoon and it was very helpful as to where things should be when adjusted and also that the hissing sound I was hearing was 'blow by'.
So I made a thicker "shim" for want of a better description and it is a bit too thick as I can rotate the flywheels but it just touches the exhaust valve so I will remove some of the thin shims and try again tomorrow. Glad I was feeling for the touch and that I did not try to start it up. Co I feel more confident that tomorrow it will run.
I also had to re-adjust the position of the governor arm on the shaft that comes from the back. It was holding the lift arm at the injector at around halfway along the curved groove of that arm. you can also see the exhaust stack in place now.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 5 months ago #216112 by asw120
Noise and smoke tomorrow!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 5 months ago #216116 by Mrsmackpaul
So this blow by is from were so you think ?

Im asking as I dont ever muck about with gear like this, old Listers, yes I have had a few over the years and they must be light years ahead of these with proper injectors or at least injectors that look like a injector

Anyway will be soon Im guessing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 5 months ago #216118 by cobbadog
Yes noise tomorrow or else!
Will have to remove some of the thin shims to give piston to head clearance again but once that is done I can re-fuel it and have a go ya mug!
Looks can be decieving Paul, although it looks like an injector it is far more primitive than one. Inside is 2 needles one sits on top of the other. Fuel enters half way down the body of the injector and the bottom needle has a taper on the end then a spring to lift the needle and a small collar to allow the spring to push up against. Once the top needle is lifted the spring lift the taper out of the seat allowing fuel to dribble into the injector cup which has 2 fine holes for the fuel to run into the pre - combustion chamber then it is suppose to bang next time the piston rises.
Hopefully all these things will happen in the correct order tomorrow and I can smoke out Coopernook. IF you hear a story on the National News tomorrow night you will know one of 2 things, I achieved a smoko day here or there will be a bloody big fire.

The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

More
3 years 5 months ago #216134 by cobbadog
Well it has happened, lots of noise and smoke, I mean smoke everywhere and its loud. Had to use my temporary belt to get it running but eventually it started running on its own, albeit rough and bloody loud under the carport. I had it running for around 10 - 12 minutes and as I was parking the tractor away it stopped. Not seized but ran out of fuel. It was getting a small amount of air back up the clear fuel line and I dont know how to stop that as yet. I ended up using the dial indicator to adjust the amount of lift on the injector. The speed wheel as it is called seems to work as I would slow it down a little bit at a time for a while but not wanting it to be slow. A lot of room for improvement but happy it makes a noise and spits oil and crap over everything, now I have to wash Dees car.

The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, Morris, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, olfrt, asw120, wee-allis, werkhorse, oliver1950

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #216139 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Congratulations ccbbadog - job well done

Only 32 years late!? Probably feels like that long to you. :unsure:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by PDU.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216140 by olfrt
Congratulations. I've been following your trials and tribulations. Well done. You're a stubborn bugger. :) . Now what ??

To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds