Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208143 by cobbadog
This is where it is at now. I removed the hopper which took some doing as the gasket had a good hold on it. The 3 bolts that held it in place snapped off due to rust, surprise. Then I started digging out the rust from around the cylinder. So far I have remove 2 x 2 litre ice cream containers of loose flakey rust and this has got me half way down past the bore with a lot more to go. At least now I can see the small brass elbow to connect the oil primer line to now. Next was time to remove the crankshaft. I undid the nuts on both side covers and got one cover to move away fairly easily but the other side where the gears and oil pump are was a bit more tricky. Eventually it let go to expose a huge mess inside. Because this engine has not run for many years everything in here was dry as a bone to a point that it was almost carbon black again. It was very thick so I scraped a lot out and wiped the ends of the gears to find the timing marks from the crankshaft to the cam. There are no timing marks for the governor or oil pump. I mention this because I have come across one engine that required the oil pump to be timed with the spark of the engine and this was the David Brown 30C engine. It had to be timed so the offset tang of the distributor would engage with the oil pump.
Next it is time to remove the gears and get inside for a clearer look.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208144 by cobbadog
Nice mess in here to clean up. Believe it or not the pipe is on top of the governor shaft and it is as free as a bird to operate.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208145 by Morris
Cobba,
I have heard the saying "Glutton for punishment" Do you know anyone it might apply to?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208156 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Definitely more rust than in my engine's combustion chambers - I feel soooooo much better now :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208158 by Swishy
Lookn @ th@ rust reminds me of a post 9 years ago
:lol:

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/Findit/5769-metal-stitching?start=0

WotSezU?
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208163 by cobbadog
Pick me, pick me ! I definately am a gluten for punishment but at the same time enjoying all the knuckle grazing, swearing but most of all getting it done a little bit at a time.
I did say that when you see the mess inside this engine you will think yours is off the F1 floor, spotless.
I thought Swishy was going to say "look at that rust, it reminds me of a Volvo", how disappointing.
My concern with the rust is that when I get the liner pushed out it might take other important stuff with it and slow dow the forward momentum.

Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by cobbadog.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208202 by cobbadog
Crankshaft out today.

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208203 by cobbadog
Mains and big end are made of bronze. The mains are bushes and the big end is made as shells.

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208311 by cobbadog
Today has been a day of cleaning up the carbon black from the side covers, removed one of the crankshaft seals and pushed one of the main bearings out far enough to clean up the blocked oil galleries

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208312 by cobbadog
Next I continued to clean up the crank, the big end journal had light surface rust and cleaned off with some fine wet n dry. Then I cleaned up the big end set up and you can see the 3 shims that will sit between the big end bearing carrier and the bottom of the conrod which you can add or subtract the shims to alter the compression ratio. Then I bolted it in place for safe keeping, only a bit better than finger tight.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.619 seconds