Skip to main content

Chamberlain CJD791 - Fuel line problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #212642 by Sanctuary
Hello,
What additives do you recommend to help prevent diesel going bad or the issues with the black residue appearing?
Regards
Scott

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212646 by Sanctuary
Hello,
I've managed to get the tap assembly out. And yes it was full of black gunk. I've cleaned it up with some carby cleaner.
Can I get some advise on next steps.
1. I was going to spray the tank with carby cleaner to clean it up. Is this the best chemical for the job?
2. I think there was a gasket on this assembly. Is it OK to use a gasket sealant (non hardening)? Or should I get a gasket cut to fit.
3. What additive to use in the diesel to help with this problem.
Regards
Scott
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212649 by wee-allis
Hi Scott,
The inside of your tank doesn't look too bad. If you have or can borrow a "kero" gun and air compressor, just blow it out with clean diesel, through the filler, then let it drain. No chemicals needed.
The build up had been coming for a long time and if you only use fresh clean fuel, it will take another long time.

You will notice that the gauze and inlet are well above the bottom of the tank. This is to allow a slight build up of water/debri in the tank before getting to the inlet pipe.

Just cut a new gasket out of thick gasket paper, a smear of gasket sealer and put it back together.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Sanctuary

More
3 years 9 months ago #212650 by mammoth
That is a fine mess but at least you can now be sure what the problem was and that you are on the road to fixing it. Even when you have the tank removed it takes a lot of effort to wash and rinse it out properly. Even harder doing it with the tank in situ. If you can get the gernie lance in have a go with that. Petrol might be the go once the worst is out but someone might suggest a solvent that is less harmful to health. You can get additives at auto shops to stop the growth coming back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sanctuary

More
3 years 9 months ago #212659 by cobbadog
If as already suggested that the inside is really clean the rinse it with some clean diesel, make a new thick paper gasket and bung it back together.
In cases where you need a heap of carby cleaner to clean things up I use general purpose paint thinners. It is cheap to buy and evapourates well ready for use.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212711 by Sanctuary
Hello,
I am pleased to say that I put the fuel system back together today. Cut a new gasket, and had no leaks. Pumped the fuel through on the lever, and yes a touch on the key helped, then bled it through.
With a bit of Aerostart in to the air intake, she finally started up.
Thanks again to for each of you, you assistance cannot be overstated.
Regards
Scott

More
3 years 9 months ago #212722 by cobbadog
Glad your back in action. Hopefully you wont need the Start Ya Bastard again.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212738 by wouldyou
Hello Scott,
If your motor is a Perkins 236 a final bleed by loosening the lines at the injectors and spinning the motor to get fuel to that point helps.
David.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds