Skip to main content

Leaking radiator

More
3 years 8 months ago #212785 by Sanctuary
Leaking radiator was created by Sanctuary
Hello,
I have had a leak dripping from the bottom of my radiator for he past few weeks - Chamberlain John Deere. Radiator 'stop leak' does a temporary job to stop it but it then starts up again. There is a shaft that goes through the radiator at the bottom, which looks like it will make it difficult to remove. Any suggestions on fix options for this.
Regards
Scott
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212790 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Leaking radiator
The Shaft Drives the Hydraulic Pump,If you remove the Pump the Radiator could/should/ would come out..

My advice would to remove the Radiator & repair It Properly. Given That It looks like the Original Radiator, I'd suggest It's about due to be looked at...

& brace yourself for a bit of "Bill Shock" those Old Brass Radiators aren't cheap...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sanctuary

More
3 years 8 months ago #212793 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Leaking radiator
As Hay seed says
I wouldn't think much change if any out of a grand
My IH tractor was 1300

The cores in the tractor radiators are stronger and made of thicker materials than a car

But well worth the dollars I reckon

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago #212795 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Leaking radiator
As has been said, the only way to fix it is to remove and repair the radiator. As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if the uni joint on the pump drive is about shot and the vibration is what has not only caused the leak, but starts it again after the Stop leak. Seen it before.

With these things sometimes the hardest part of getting the radiator out, is getting the shaft off the front pulley to allow the pump to come off. Prepare to lose some bark off your knuckles, but stick with it. It needs to be done. Far better than losing the water and blowing the engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Sanctuary

More
3 years 8 months ago #212801 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Leaking radiator
Ive done heaps of these on the tractor cranes....as wee allis ,says ,if the uni chops out,and good chance its lubed by red dust now,it will demolish the square tank round the drive hole ......and fixing a complicated copper rad is not common these days, the old tradesmen are all gone......The flange is bolted to the front pulley of the Perk,and also ,the pump can be pulled off with the spline shaft attached ,leaving the back half on the motor......Last rad I bought from "Alternative Crane Spares" cost $1200.....that was some years ago .....I quit in 2008.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212834 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Leaking radiator
Definately radiator out and off to the shop. Until it is pressure tested we can only guess where the leak is. With my David Brown it had the round hole through the bottom tank for a crank handle and the reapir guy said this was a common problem for leaks. Turned out the round hole was good, the core had seen its last days. So a new core close to the original and new top and bottom plates that suited the new care were then cut to suit my top and bottom tanks. Job done was very good but he made a decision that I did not notice until after it was fitted, he removed the drain cock because he said it had a leak. I rang him about it and asked why he didn't call me and ask if it was ok to throw it out. Very quiet at the other end of the phone. He caould have adapted any make of drain cock and all would be good but he then had a dummy spit and I said if anyone should be shitty about this it is me but Im not, only wanted to know why he thought it was ok. He hung up on me.
Cost was $1300.00. HE did do a good job apart from the drain cock, new core and plates came from a company in Qld somewhere and the repairer is in Port Macquarie.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212864 by JOHN.K.
With the Chamberlain rad ,the hole is actually an extension of the bottom tank ,and the only way round it is a very short cored normal rad....which is what I did in some of the yard cranes ,which ran stone cold anyway......With a manual gearbox ,the pump can be under the floor behind the box ,but the BW shuttle has no provision for a PTO drive.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213018 by Sanctuary
Replied by Sanctuary on topic Leaking radiator
Ok thanks for the responses. I’ll get to it.
Regards
Scott

More
3 years 8 months ago #213044 by JOHN.K.
Cobba say how touchy the rad guys are......I used to take all the crane rads to a place called South Brisbane Rad Service/Cairncross Rads.....near the drydock .....took one from the 6cyl Chamberlain ,just had a hole rubbed in it from the oil cooler hose........the old guy said it was U/S.......all it needed was a solder patch on the bottom tank ......coulda done it myself ,except Col was obsessed with taking stuff to certain places to be fixed.......anyway,old guy says ,Cant solder ,will melt bottom tank to core solder......I suggested he could put it into his tub so only the tank was above water level........old guy went stark raving mad ,and threw me out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Sanctuary

More
3 years 8 months ago #213048 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Leaking radiator
The guy who did the DB radiator does have a wonderful talent and is exceptionally good at his job, but that is where it stops. No people / client skills at all, started out great but turned to PIG when you ask why he didn't do something. Problem is finding people to take on these jobs now is very tricky at best and no doubt for us in this district would mean a long drive to a major town minimum of 2 hours but probably 4 to find another.
At least if the grey fergy radiator needs attention a new one is easy to get a hold of and reasonably priced. All radiator blokes want to do know the the plastic tank stuff first or have an alloy one built up for you at a stupid price.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds