Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Leaking radiator 28 Jul 2020 10:43 #213056

• bparo
  • Thank you received: 327
NatRad in Echuca fix all sorts of stuff. they recored the radiator in the AR and the XP. They weren't cheap though. Swan hill was just as good when I was coming home from Quorn in the XP and it sprung a leak (before the recore and the cause of the recore), These guys actually like working on old and strange gear
Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sanctuary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Help needed to get this radiator out 02 Aug 2020 16:26 #213282

• Sanctuary
  • Sanctuary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello all,
I had a crack at getting the radiator out today. Trouble is I can't get the shaft from out the bottom. I've loosened the hydraulic pump at the front and also taken the bolts off the pulley on the fan belt. How do I get the flange off the shaft so it can come out?
Scott
Attachments:

Help needed to get this radiator out 02 Aug 2020 17:32 #213284

• wouldyou
  • Thank you received: 137
Hello Scott,
Loosely bolt the flange back on to the pulley leaving room to get levers between the pump and nose of machine, it is likely a spline drive and should prise apart.
David.

Help needed to get this radiator out 02 Aug 2020 17:41 #213285

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 1310
Scott, I would undo the bolts/Studs in the Uni Joint at the Pump,& pull the Radiator Our with the Shaft still in It.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Help needed to get this radiator out 02 Aug 2020 18:41 #213288

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1096
Its just a small tailshaft type spline.....Im pretty sure to get the radiator out of the Mk 4 tractor ,I had to remove the front metalwork too....Wouldnt swear to it,memory is getting a bit faint on the day to day stuff.

Help needed to get this radiator out 02 Aug 2020 19:39 #213289

• wee-allis
  • Thank you received: 954
Scott, the drive hub on the engine end is splined to the shaft going through the radiator. It would appear that the spline halves are rusted together, which is typical.

I would go with Hayseed's suggestion to unbolt the uni on the front end, rather tan try to prise it apart after re-bolting the shaft to the front pulley. To leave room for levers will mean only having the bolts part way in and possibly damaging the pulley threads. (Sorry David)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wouldyou, Sanctuary

Help needed to get this radiator out 02 Aug 2020 20:28 #213293

• Sanctuary
  • Sanctuary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi, the hole in the rad is quite small. If I unbolt the uni joint at the front end, will there be just the shaft left or will there be some of the uni joint (wider than the shaft) still to get through the hole?
If splitting the rusted spline becomes the only option, is brute force the way to do it or is there another trick I can use?
Scott

Help needed to get this radiator out 02 Aug 2020 20:56 #213294

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 1310

Sanctuary wrote: Hi, the hole in the rad is quite small. If I unbolt the uni joint at the front end, will there be just the shaft left or will there be some of the uni joint (wider than the shaft) still to get through the hole?
If splitting the rusted spline becomes the only option, is brute force the way to do it or is there another trick I can use?
Scott

Once you get the Radiator & shaft out & on the Bench/back of the Ute, It'll be much easier to work on. & you should be able to get a gear puller on that Flange & push to shaft out of It.
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Sanctuary

Help needed to get this radiator out 03 Aug 2020 21:07 #213334

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2432
Everything hayseed has said and you will be right as rain

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Help needed to get this radiator out 04 Aug 2020 16:37 #213367

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1096
The spline is generally jammed up with powdered debris and solidified grease or oil.........A squirt of kerosene into the splines a few times as the spline was worked in and out would generally free it......eventually.........On the cranes which were used every day ,the spline would sometimes flog out completely ,no drive to the pump,and I could generally get away with replacing one half or the other without turning it into a major operation with the boss wanting to know why the spline wasnt greased regularly ..

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558