Skip to main content

Grumpy Dumpy

More
3 years 5 months ago #215309 by cobbadog
Grumpy Dumpy was created by cobbadog
After 12 months of being under cover so no red paint from the Cropmaster paint job speckled the yellow on Grumpy he finally got to see the light of day again. So out with the crank handle and 3 swings and he was off and running as if he had never been put away. This is all in preparation for Grumpy to do a days work here as I am hiring a mini excavator to make some changes around the place. I did give him a bath since the video and treated the spiders with contempt and insect spray.
He runs a Lister SR2 engine and runs as sweet as can be. Never seems to want to use much fuel either. I filled the fuel tank up when I got him and there is still over half a tank left. He has been playing around here and at some rallies, when they were able to be attended, and just sitting there ticking over and being revved up just to make some noise. If I dont make a noise the neighbours would complain about the silence!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, asw120

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215311 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Grumpy Dumpy
I got the same one,not as nice tho ,as it sat under a tree for 10 years while i was working.....Bit /lot more rust in the sheetmetal,but once I got the motor started ,it runs great .....I run all my diesels on 50/50 waste hydraulic oil and diesel ......means the injector pump never freezes up like with diesel only......and the dumpy does get thru a bit of fuel,I always seem to be topping up the tank......One of these days Ill change the oil too,must be at least 30 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 5 months ago #215316 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Grumpy Dumpy
Looks can be decieving at times. Poor Grumpy had a tree fall on the bonnet not long after the previous owner painted it. However, preparation was not not high on the list of things to do and is why paint flakes off in places.

One day if possible could you take a photo of the ID plate on the back of yours. Mine is missing and is why it took almost 12 months to identify make and model and I would like to make a plate using my engine and chassis numbers.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215325 by JOHN.K.
Mine has a non specific Lister plate,and another plate ,which I think is State Works Department,with various numbers and codes......No mention of Liner.....I also have another machine that I took the motor from many years ago,think the front panel may be missing.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215327 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Grumpy Dumpy
I also had 2 Dumpers years ago, the machine didn't have a brand, but they were Petter petrol single cylinder engines. They were pretty old and had a flat belt drive that was slipped as a clutch.
Mrs Southbound was like, why did you bring that crap home? Then after selling them, I can't believe you got that much for that old junk!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215342 by cobbadog
Thanks John, I have the Lister engine plate and even have a chassis number stamped into the frame on the passengers side foot plate. The plate I was after is riveted to the back panel below and to the right of the crankshaft sits for the cranky handle to wind him up.
Not to worry, I have an idea of what should be there and will get it sorted one day. In the mean time he is ready for work tomorrow around the yard as I dig out all sorts of stuff.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215353 by JOHN.K.
Id say mine had no more than the Lister plate.....there are no extra rivet holes,and my recall of the dumpys is they had the Liner and Roughrider either painted or transfer on the panels ......The council here had some nice condition ones ,still original ,all mine are State Works ,and in grey paint ,and plenty of concrete spill too.Which is what they were made for .....From the state works ,Ive had Benford ,Barford ,Liner ,and Ransomes .

More
3 years 5 months ago #215361 by cobbadog
Next will have to be Thwaites.
Grumpy ran and worked hard all day. He is now tucked away in bed having a sleep.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215380 by JOHN.K.
Old guy I knew bought a dumpy and a big concrete mixer at the state works,he loaded the dumpy on his Toyota Lite Stout,and towed the mixer.........near my shed at Oxley ,the Toy gave up the ghost,he walked round to my shed ,we went back and unloaded the dumpy with my ramps,He towed the Toy back to my shed with the dumpy ,went back ,coupled up the mixer,five gallon drum of diesel in the bucket,and towed the mixr back to Oakey with the dumpy........Less dramas than the Toy which had burnt valves he never fixed.,just ran it on 3 cylinders.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215381 by cobbadog
This is what the revival was all about, lowering the ground level under the carport for the new vehicle to fit under. Yes, I had to use chocks under the font heels as the hand brake was not too flash. His first load was to cover the broken slabs of concrete I burried near the orange trees. Dee thought I was digging her grave at first but she is safe. The little Kubota done a wonderful job but I had to move the flashing light off the roof top so it cleared the beam of the car port. Finished and ready for use.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianoz, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Rattail 1927

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds