Skip to main content

Husky LT19538 Deck Repair

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219423 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Husky LT19538 Deck Repair
Yeah keeping it all level is in my long term plan. The tops of all the pulleys should be level once the rust holes have disappeared. I intend to brace the pulleys so that they are put back in place but wanted to get this big hole filled first. The side I have removed now shows me that although there is a small amount of rust to remove on the vertical part next to it but the bottom is in great condition and wont be altered so this is one reference point and I feel the other side will be the same. So it will be the idler pulleys that are critical for spacing and being level. If these are not right the belt length will b e wrong as well. Apart from being stubourn like my grandmother I like the challenge to get it back in action.
I have already checked the bearings on all moving parts and they are perfect. So tomorrow will be interesting because the MIG decided to have a fit late today by not welding. I think I may have done a run that might have been a bit too long and the over heat circuit cut the volts. The wire feed works when I press the feed button so it is to do with the volts side of things.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219429 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Husky LT19538 Deck Repair
I gave BOC the flick a few years ago. A bottle of argon lasts me 5 years, so not worth it. Now with oxy as well (why did I wait so long?!) It's a lot cheaper to own, although I may enquire. I do have a small credit with BOC.

Re MIG problems; my problem is mostly the bloke holding the trigger.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219447 by cobbadog
I too have the same trouble Jarrod, the driver of the rig, so to speak. I had no end of issues with the MIG today, wire feed had issues then it was no sparkles happening, then the gas went out or so I thought but I forgot to turn the bloody gas on which apparently helps it do its job. After all that then the settings I ran the MIG on seemed to have changed as to both wire feed and voltage settings so I played around with them again and improved it but not the same as before it played up. Sometimes SH!T happens and it sure did today.

Had a heap of trouble with the MIG today. First no wire feed then no sparkles and then out of gas. Got them sorted out, I think but it has thrown all the settings out the window and now I am playing around getting them right again but they are not where they used to be so it is still a mystery.
So I carried on with the repair anyway and learnt how to grind again. The pigeon shit weld at the bottom is due to rust that I could not reach with the grinder but it will be good enough. So this is what these 2 patches look like in place and will continue soon, in between work.

Attachments:

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219451 by Mrsmackpaul
The old MIG welder is relatively new to me, I was a stick welder man from since I was a teenager on the farm

I used to have no end of trouble with the MIG

I had my old neighbor around and enquired with him as to the goings on

He is a ticketed welder and welds everything and anything and travels all over the place for his welding ability

The way I under stood it for MIG was
Amps 100%
Adjust the volts and speed to suit the job
Try to keep the volts as high as you can and stop and start to prevent burning holes

I took his advice on board and haven't had the stick welder out since

Dunno if this is of any help or not

I would of welded the deck up with a stick welder not so long ago

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219466 by cobbadog
Thanks Paul,
In the past I have had the amps set to zero and only the volts and wire speed set to various numbers pending on the thickness of material.
I will give thgis a try to see what happens. I can't make any more holes that are already there, one or two more wont hurt any.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219480 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Husky LT19538 Deck Repair
I haven't seen a mig with an amp setting in addition to volts. Some machines have multiple functions such as stick and tig and the extra controls are for those functions.
Slowing wire speed can also has the effect of reducing the volts/amps. All a balancing act as no doubt you have found. With thin sheet you will get penetration no matter what so you are not aiming to get maximum power into it as is the case with heavy section. For really thin sheet 0.6 wire is the go.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219486 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Husky LT19538 Deck Repair
Reckon Ill have to send my old slasher down to cobba to fix ......I was thinking of getting a new one,until I saw the price ..$14 K for a 7 footer.......I made it out of bits 40 years ago ,think its got a Howard body with a Page 100hp gearbox......

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219502 by cobbadog
Yes Mammoth, this is a multi purpose unit, MIG, MMA and TIG although I hav never used it for anything other than MIG. I read somewhere recentl that I should have the Amps set to maximum but I thought tht MIG only used Volts to operate but being a novice in this welding thing I read and take notice so next attempt, tomorrow I hope I will try it with full Amps. As for the sizeof the wire I am using 0.9mm which is more suitable for heavy material but in the past I have simply just been happy with short runs and getting the results but at the moment it just does not ant to play like it used to, but I will prevail against the b@st@rd.
Hi JOHN.K, by all means send your slasher down, I am sure I will find someone to buy it off me! But you would be brave to do so looking at my cooky poop welds at the moment.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219527 by cobbadog
Both bottles from Bunnings are the same colour blue top to bottom and the only difference is to read the white label at the neck of the bottle. Fortunately the bottle I have is the blended gas which is correct for this application. I did a couple of things today that seemed to help and the main one was to hold the trigger and move the wire feed knob from full off to full on and then to a speed that looked right then did some welds. The speed setting from memory id a bit higher han it used to be but it is feeding so leave that alone. I also increased the gas setting from 12 - 14 on the gauge.
At the moment I have the Amps set to full as it was mentioned amongst the threads I have going to do and the volts is at around 4 out of 10 which is normal for this machine doing this light metal. I will continue to play about with the settings and see how it goes.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #219533 by Mrsmackpaul
Gas is supposed to be around 8 liters / minute I believe

The fella showing me had one of these

And it was bugger allon the dial when set

If it is windy I find I have to crank the gas a bit

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging