Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Nice Beam Engine 30 Apr 2021 16:53 #221103

• cobbadog
  • cobbadog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1011
We have been looking at this Beam Engine for years and now it is back in 'live steam'. It is at the historic Pump House in Goulburn NSW. The boiler providing the steam is a Vertical boiler and the two original horizontal boilers are still in place half covered with bricks and concrete but it is a riveted boiler and the heads inside are badly eroded and deemed too much work to fix. This is one of 4 ever made and the only remaining one and is live again. It is hypnotic to watch it silently run and is still connected to a foot valve so it is under load and is recirculating the water within the system.
There is also a nice horizontal engine ticking over as well that has been in at least 3 factories doing various jobs and now here on display. Both engines are running on 30 psi but can be dropped down and they will still run. The Beam engine is running a 1/3 speed in the video and at the end of the day they set the speed to maximum then cut the steam and allow the momentum of the flywheel continue to turn and pump any remaining condensed steam out of the cylinders.

Beam engine head.

Main Crank end.

Large horizontal

Hargreaves horizontal
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge :-X, IHScout, bparo, wouldyou, eerfree, Morris, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Nice Beam Engine 01 May 2021 16:03 #221153

• bparo
  • Thank you received: 273
There is (or maybe was now) the world's oldest operational beam engine in Sydney's Powerhouse Museum. However I saw the NSW government had plans to shut it down, disperse the collection and use the land for housing and retail? Having not been even through Sydney since 2015 I am not sure what's happened to it all
Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Nice Beam Engine 01 May 2021 16:31 #221156

• IHScout
  • Thank you received: 177
Bparo, fortunately the powerhouse museum appears to have been saved for now, that's not to say they won't get stuck into with a jackhammer
when the population gets distracted by something else.
Dennis

Nice Beam Engine 01 May 2021 17:03 #221158

• wouldyou
  • Thank you received: 114
We visited one of the last wood fired steam engines on the Perth to Kalgoorlie pipe line and learned they were ideal for that job. A steady forward and back motion to a piston pump, no need for crankshaft or flywheels.
At the abandoned Golden Crown mine Cue the remains of a horizontal engine and trolley to a right angled crank above the shaft remained.
Have found beam refers to overhead see saw mechanism, what would be a description for the above engines?
A long time ago and no photos.
David

Last edit: by wouldyou.

Nice Beam Engine 01 May 2021 18:16 #221159

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 751
Cobba, I've been Driving past that Pumphouse for Yrs, I'm going to have to call in there Now..
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Nice Beam Engine 01 May 2021 22:20 #221168

• cobbadog
Beam engines still usually have a flywheel and a big one at that. This is what gives it the steady momentum and smooth operation then from the crankshaft the 'rocking' motion is driven by a push rod, a bloody big one at that. There are 3 spare rods that came with this engine hangine on the waaaaall and none have ever been needed.
The last trip to Sydney we did another visit to the Power House Museum and back then they were still talking about moving out to that inappropriate site at Parramatta which floods on the lower floor. Now a lot of thought went into this planning, NOT. This was about 2 years back. Then recently an announcement was made it was not a feasible move. This was after they bought the site. Then it was back on again and have not heard anything since as our newset best friend Covid has stollen all of the News time. I guess we can ask our local Polly as to the latest and then after your notified that your email has been passed onto the relevant authourities you might get an answer sometime with in your life time.
The Beam engine at the Power HOuse is a one off made and somehow managed to be exported out here before the Poms knew what happened to it. I was talking to the Curator at the Museum when he was on about moving and they could not get insurance coverage on it as there was nothing to compare the value of it so it could be covered. It certainly is a wonderful engine to study, we have not seen it running as they dont do as many steam up days lately but they could run it on compressed air if needed.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou

Nice Beam Engine 02 May 2021 15:26 #221185

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 4184
Here are some more in Australia.

The first in Hobart

The next in Mannum SA

And another shot of the Goulburn enginr
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wouldyou, PaulFH, oliver1950

Nice Beam Engine 03 May 2021 15:50 #221218

• bparo
  • Thank you received: 273
I read an article in The Old Machinery Magazine which claimed it came out to Australia when it was new. A lot of English people like to take things 'home where they belong" when the reality is the only movement the vehicle made in England was from the manufacturer to the port!

I sold my 1941 Ruston Hornsby stationary engine to a local guy but a couple of British Enthusiasts tried to claim I didn't have the right to sell it here as it was "made in England". The engine left England on the 5th January 1941 and went to a dairy farm that is now under a suburb in Warrnambool where it was used in a dairy until power came through then left sitting in the corner. It never actually worked in the UK.
Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Nice Beam Engine 03 May 2021 17:33 #221221

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 769
I recall there was a similar kind of fuss over the pair of Fowler Z7 ploughing engines that are now in Victoria.......these things are all rich mans toys ,I couldnt afford a boiler inspection,let alone professional repairs or rebuilds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Nice Beam Engine 03 May 2021 21:57 #221239

• cobbadog
There was 4 of these beam engines sold here in Oz, One each in Albury Wodonga, One for Gouldburn and the 4th in Bathurst. All the others were sold for scrap and this was heading in the same direction when the local scrappy offered 400 quid for it. The then Mayor who must have had a conscious said he would take this offer to the next Council meeting where it was put to the vote. The engine was saved by 1 only vote and is the only reason it still exists today.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558