Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

David Browns' ongoing story 16 May 2021 15:34 #221656

• cobbadog
  • cobbadog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1030
I truly thank everyone for their ongoing suggestions and help. So this morning I went out and did a cold compression test with the throttle wide open and in 3 compression strokes it reached a maximum of 75lbs and I let it go to 6 firing strokes to see if it increased any but didn't. All 4 cylinders were exactly the same. So while the plugs were out yet again I did a little scratch around inside the plugs and rinsed with carby cleaner and then double checked the gap to be 0.022" as per manual. Checked all plugs were firing outside the cylinder so threw them in and tightened them up. Start up the tractor and it didn't sound too bad so I let it warm up as far as it will while standing still. This has never got warm on the temp gauge just idling and even with the blind pulled up over the radiator but it does get warm to touch the radiator. Then started messing around with the little spark tester I have seeing that it lit up on each HT lead and it did but there was still that slight rhythmic miss.
Called to lunch and as eating is my favourite past time I shut it down.
Came back after lunch switched the fuel back on and fired it up, no miss! :crazy:o_O
So I again let it warm up and started to open and close the throttle and the flat spot was still there but not bad so I spent the next 10 minutes tweaking the air mixture untill I got what is in the short video. This is all very pleasing, swear at it, go to tucker time and come back and it's done! So I connected the timing light again in hope of a response but no it is dead, well the light lights up but no strobing so another one will follow me home tomorrow.
So now I wish to meet the person that very kindly snuck into the yard between the hours of noon to 1.00pm so I can thank them and buy them a beer or 20. It will be interesting to see if it comes back but the fix does appear to be one of the suggestions made earlier and on my list of thing to consider before setting fire to the tractor was a sticky valve that just wanted some use and now some oil must be down the guide doing its job.

AussieIron, I didn't mean to ignore your suggestion earlier but I had a few ideas thrown into the ring but early on when I lifted the rocker cover everything was in place and at that stage I could not detect any variances in valves clearances either but a sticky at the moment appears to be the culprit that has caused many hours of lost sleep.
J.B. Castagnos, I have not done a compression test like that before but can see the benefits in doing that way. Going by my last result I hopefully won't need to do it but we never know.

I should mention in the first video the spark seems to make no difference if I have it connected or not but it is a strong spark. In the second video, revs, I am not touching anything but the misfire happens and the revs alter. Last video after lunch and mysterious fix happened and I can even tune the flat spot out.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by cobbadog.

David Browns' ongoing story 16 May 2021 20:01 #221677

• PaulFH
  • Thank you received: 959
Cobbadog, do you ever load it up and give it a workout?
PTO or belt driven hammer mill would test it under load.
Might be worth a try? Good luck, Paul.

David Browns' ongoing story 16 May 2021 21:28 #221683

• cobbadog
Hi Paul, I can onlydrive it on the road so that is the only loading I can out it under. I do have a mould board plough but farmers dont like their ground rolled over with them now days. Plough days are few and far between especially6 with covid about. After work and doctors visits tomorrow I have to reseal the rocker cover and if it is still running like this then the tin ware can go back on and then a road run will be high on the list and maybe a bit of hill climbing up in the forrest. David has CLub rego so will be legal to do so during day light hours.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

David Browns' ongoing story 24 May 2021 16:17 #221897

• cobbadog
Well for a very long time but only when I could I have been having fun trying to solve a problem with the 30C. Found a slight issue with the needle and seat in the carby and replaced the seals on the main shaft to ensure no vacuum leak there. Went over to the ignition and replaced everything from coil to plugs and everything in between and yet it still ran rough. Pulled the front off the engine to double check the cam timing and also double and triple checked the valve clearances. All of this has been done over many attempts as time has been available and last weekend I sat down with him with a carton of beer and we had a very long talk about why he was being so bad. We talked for a while and then I went inside for lunch and when I came back for no reason he started running like he used to. So I then got down to adjusting the air bleed/mixture screw and got rid of the small flat spot and allowed him to run for a fair while. I took him for a drive up and down the driveway and thought this is good. Next time I will just sit down with him again with a carton of beer have a a talk should he feel that he wants to be naughty.
So today I fitted the tinware back on and went for a drive around the block as he has Club rego, even stopped at the service station and fueled up. It felt good to have him back to his old self and then I noticed an issue, a fuel leak so back home to sort that out. The main thing is that he lives again, the fuel leak is from the tank somewhere so will look closely at that and I am now convinced as to what the problem was so if it happens again I think I know where to go.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558